Amazing what 1 hand and 6" can do!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
Reaction score
Knowing you clowns, most of you are drooling thinking this is gonna be some kinda #### thread. Sorry to disappoint but it is the next best thing...a firewood story. We've had a bit of a chilly spell here in PA the last coupla days. My processing area is finally frozen solid and the weind wasn't near as bad as yesterday. I have probably 4 cords of rounds waiting to be turned into sticks so I got the gator out, hooked up the tw-6, and grabbed the rest of the gear including a set of Lockhart's firewood gripper's from Bailey's. Got them as a stocking stuffer from Santa. Needless to say I wish I woulda got them last year! Had no trouble hooking and holding onto 24 inch rounds of cherry and silver maple, and some noodled pieces of pin oak. The hooks made grabbing and pulling pieces from the table that needed to be run again a breeze. There was a bit of a learning curve and my pants got a few new ventilation ports but such is life. Once I figured out that holding the tool with my pointer, middle and ring fingers while pushing down with thumb and pinky to curl the tool made grabbing a cinch. Grabbing a round near the top rather than having to stoop all the way down and get both hands under it makes me think I don't actually have to get a log lift just yet. When I first noticed the hooks in the bailey's catalog I thought "what a gimicky piece of junk". In reality, these things will make someone a million dollars!

Thanks for the tip - that looks quite useful.

I cut a variety of lengths (not on purpose) is the length of the firewood that it does accurate ?

ie. 15-18

The catalog now shows 3 different lengths 15-18, 18-21, and 21-24. I think there has been a recent upgrade in the product line as mine are green(the current color for 15-18) but had no trouble picking up the longer stuff over 18"(tree service wood varies tremendously). I had no trouble sinking the hooks deeper down the sides on shorter stuff to take up slack either. They work very much like log tongs in that the more weight that is applied, the tighter they grip. Unless you have a really tiny firebox or only feed an OWB, the middle ones should serve most people well. All in all, a very good weapon to have in your arsenal for the fight against the evil tree!

Does it hook into the wood by spring pressure or do you need two hands to put the hooks in? I've always used the "Pulp Hooks" http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15840&catID=
and using two at a time I can hook two really big pieces and walk the close to my splitter a good distance without a problem. Is it an improvemet over these? Hell I might try them out if they are!

I thought they looked gimiky too but now I see a use for them in the WINTER woods. Any thing to keep my gloves dry would help.

Wow....a pic may say a thousand words but a video is worth a million in this instance. Looks nice and simple to use. Thanks!

Back