American Elm - would you cut this branch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grilling24x7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My Princeton Elm is about 25+ feet now. It's really growing.

About 6 feet up from the ground I have a major fork in the trunk. I see that this tree is really going to be one of the split trunk (two trees in one sort of tree :msp_biggrin: )

Would you guys cut where I lined in red? This would take a major part of the canopy away, which is why I am hesitant. I'm not sure if I should just let it be or try to get it a bit taller before the splitting. Clearly this tree likes to split its branches (split may be the wrong word but i think you know what i mean) but I wonder if splitting too low isn't desirable).

Thoughts?

John

Its a good looking tree i wouldn't cut it, that crotch might 50ft. Off the ground when its full grown, if it becomes a problem then you can do something but its way too young to tell right now. Would you cut your leg off because it "might" be a problem??

Its a good looking tree i wouldn't cut it, that crotch might 50ft. Off the ground when its full grown, if it becomes a problem then you can do something but its way too young to tell right now. Would you cut your leg off because it "might" be a problem??

You confused me! That crotch won't be 50 feet off the ground, right? That crotch will stay there at 6 feet and split two massive leaders up in the air.

The leg analogy might not hold b/c it isn't common practice to cut off a leg, but pruning trees for shape, safety and general look is common practice.

John

You sure do believe in your signature quote, don't ya? :monkey:

Hell, I'm going outside right now and mounting an antenna to the side of my small tree so it will be 50 ft in the air someday...

Elm limb

I would take the limb off just below the red line. Pruning the tree when it's young the tree can wall off the injury much eaiser and therefore less decay will be the result.

Back