an easy question for you guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstroke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i put a stove pipe in my girlfriends house a few years ago, her liner was cracked and they put a 5" ss pipe in for her to burn a coal stove..

we'll she doesnt like the coal stove and is more comfortable with a wood stove.

can she burn a wood stove with that little of a pipe??

and on another note
i was asking questions a while back about chain saws

well i purchased a 372 and couldnt be happier
what a beast..
thanks for your help so far..

The draft would be better with a 6" liner. I've seen a 4" pipe 18' tall work well in a garage/barrel stove. His would have worked better if it had a larger diameter. With the higher velocity, in the 4" flue, he had very little build-up as his exit temperature was still quite high at the top of the stack.

General rule of thumb is to have the flue the same diameter as the exhaust opening of the appliance.

Last edited:
i put a stove pipe in my girlfriends house a few years ago, her liner was cracked and they put a 5" ss pipe in for her to burn a coal stove..

we'll she doesnt like the coal stove and is more comfortable with a wood stove.

can she burn a wood stove with that little of a pipe??

and on another note
i was asking questions a while back about chain saws

well i purchased a 372 and couldnt be happier
what a beast..
thanks for your help so far..

I wouldn't recommend' nothing but 6'' or better.

I wouldn't recommend' nothing but 6'' or better.

better than what?

I read a document from the fire department about draft and fire stoves...

smaller is recommended. Never larger than the opening on the appliance.

better to lose some heat up the flue, than to have creosote build up due to poor drafting/cooling from too large a diameter chimney.

better than what?

I read a document from the fire department about draft and fire stoves...

smaller is recommended. Never larger than the opening on the appliance.

better to lose some heat up the flue, than to have creosote build up due to poor drafting/cooling from too large a diameter chimney.

I don't about you, But I like my draft to move. If you like the small flu....be happy.

ok thanks for the replies...

and another easy one, this stainless liner was supposed to be something for coal im not sure of the series of stainless..

is there any reason any one knows that it wouldnt hold up for a wood fire???

thanks again

According to the Engineers who wrote the Code

I don't about you, But I like my draft to move. If you like the small flu....be happy.

the smaller the flue, the faster the draft....

it's about velocity, not volume, once the velocity is up, the volume follows..

there is a point where it would be too small I guess, but if there is trouble with draft, going 1" smaller will usually improve velocity, which improves draft which reduces creosote buildup

ok thanks guys i guess i'll look around for a small woodstove for her..

i have to be careful in here the last time i was snooping around i had to lay out 700 for a new chain saw lol

thanks again

So you guys' with theses small 5'' chimneys, when you open the stove door to throw another stick in, you don't you get smoke roll out into the room.?

Yes' venting in a chimney thats to big will cause smoke to cool, causing creosote and sluggish draft.
But' 5'' flue isn't that about the minimum, just to get by with ?

I just can't see me putting a 5'' reducer on my 6'' woodburner going into a 5'' chimney flue. don't this have a lot to do with firebox, stove size also. ?

Go to your local Fire Dept...

So you guys' with theses small 5'' chimneys, when you open the stove door to throw another stick in, you don't you get smoke roll out into the room.?

Yes' venting in a chimney thats to big will cause smoke to cool, causing creosote and sluggish draft.
But' 5'' flue isn't that about the minimum, just to get by with ?

I just can't see me putting a 5'' reducer on my 6'' woodburner going into a 5'' chimney flue. don't this have a lot to do with firebox, stove size also. ?

they may have the info there.... If I remember correctly the studies for smaller flues were done in the US.

with a decent fire, and good draft, smoke won't be an issue. And with a cooler fire, the smaller flue would be an advantage.

Back