An Excuse to Break out the 394 :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRobinson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, new here but I've been reading your threads for several years. I ran a saw shop (Husqvarna) here in Bonners Ferry for the last few years but last summer I got sick of the pissy ones and their $49 weed trimmers and semi-retired. I have a little sideline software project going for some income but I can spend basically as much time as I want farting around on my place now and that makes me a happy man.

I've been using my trusty Husky 351 for most of my firewood all winter, it's a great little saw, runs sweet, and doesn't make my back hurt too bad. Mostly I burn jack pine (lodgepole I guess they call it now) and the 351 is plenty big enough for anything on the place, but while I was at the shop one day this guy came in all pi$$ed off at his 394 and wanted to buy a new saw. I told him it was probably just something simple, but he was bent on buying a new saw. I sold him a 576 and asked him if he wanted to get rid of the 394. Long story short I bought the saw from him for $50, lol. I can't even remember what was wrong with it, something simple like a hole in the fuel line. So now I have this speed-tuned 394 sitting around that I rarely use (hell no it's not for sale) and I like to run it every chance I get to keep the bearings lubed up and some fresh gas through the carb. Anyway I had this fairly good sized red fir on the back side of the property that I've been saving, so after cutting my way into it through some blowdown for the last couple days I decided I'd dump 'er over today, here are a couple pics (yeah I know, I need to tighten my chain).

that black thing in the foreground is my "wood hauler", it's only about 300 yds to the house. That's a 32" bar and I'd already busted up the butt and hauled it to the house when I took pictures, so it was a fairly good sized tree. I still got it, the tree went right right down between a jack pine and another red fir just like I planned :) .

IMG_0418.jpg

Just when you probably thought I was a bada$$ dude with the 394 and all, here's my dog:

IMG_0416.jpg

Actually my other dog, the shepherd, wasn't having anything to do with getting his picture taken, my Mom died a couple years ago and the dachshund was her dog. She's mine now and she likes the whole firewood/woodstove thing quite a lot. Not much left to say except that I had a fun day, my back hurts, and I'm typing this from a nice warm house :) .

Jim

394 xp

Welcome to Arborsite I have the same saw and just went through a new piston and rings. Now I can't get a spark so I will keep fidling with it at night.
Good lookin saw and dog
Being a saw mechanic you probably have some good advice for helping to solve some of the problems with saws.

Welcome to the site my friend, you never need an excuse to fire up a muscle saw. Especially one as legendary they get in the blood. Just like your good dogs! Nice pics sorry about your mom, and thats great you are caring for her dog. I am sure she is smilind down on you for that. I am a softy for dogs. Rep sent!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, much appreciated. That damn red fir is halfway burned up already, BTW!

xrem20 try disconnecting the blue wire at the coil, that'll rule out anything in the switch circuit. If it has spark then you probably need a new switch or the wire going to it has the insulation worn off it and it's touching metal somewhere. Also check the plug wire to make sure it hasn't worn through somewhere and might be grounding out against metal. It's rare that the coil goes bad, but I have seen it happen a few times. It's usually in the switch circuit from my experience.

You took some great pics what did you use?

That's my almost brand new Canon EOS Rebel T2i, they dropped in price last fall so I snatched it up for like $750 bucks. Way too damn many buttons and switches though, I'll never live long enough to figure them all out.

Thanks again guys :msp_smile:

Jim

Welcome to the site.I don't have a 394,but am rebuilding a 288 which someone dropped a very large spruce on to. I am now thanks to parts from Bailey's very nearly finished and can't wait to use it.
geoff.
:cheers:

Nice saws and some nice wood! I miss burning red fir and tamarack and the easy splitting. Cute dog, can't blame her for liking the firewood and wood stove thing... I do too!!

Welcome from another Idahoan! Lewiston here.

Nice saw. Where I'm at I rarely "NEED" a 70cc so I just put a shorter bar on it so I can get some run time on it.
My GF has a dachshund. Funny little things think they are so tough. She (the dog) sleeps under the wood stove some times. Definitely loves the heat

Nice saw. Where I'm at I rarely "NEED" a 70cc so I just put a shorter bar on it so I can get some run time on it.
My GF has a dachshund. Funny little things think they are so tough. She (the dog) sleeps under the wood stove some times. Definitely loves the heat

Yep, definitely more balls than brains! My biggest complaint with dachshunds is they sh*t wherever the urge overcomes them and that's usually right in the middle of a major walkway or directly below the pickup door. Love that, when the heater get's warmed up good and you realize you've got half a pound of dachshund sh*t imbedded in your vibram soles. Yeah baby, doesn't get any better...

That poor neglected dog.... Nobody feeds it, I can tell.

Yeah, she's got it rough...and the poor thing has to sleep outside in the cold too, never on the bed like you probably all think, uh uh :msp_smile:

Great first post and nice saws. I miss my 394. My old man ended up with it (long story) and now it sits in a storage unit somewhere in New Mexico. Maybe someday I will get it back but until then I will have to settle with my 395 if I want to cut up something big. Glad you joined. Keep up the great pics.

I know that feeling, my old man beat me out of a good running 372 a couple years ago. He uses it though once in a while when he's not running his 357. What's better about the 394 than the 395, BTW? I always thought they were nearly the same saw?

Jim

I know that feeling, my old man beat me out of a good running 372 a couple years ago. He uses it though once in a while when he's not running his 357. What's better about the 394 than the 395, BTW? I always thought they were nearly the same saw?

Jim

Not sure if one is really better than the other. Some have said they felt the 394 had a little more grunt than the 395. I have never ran both on the same day. If I sat my 394 next to my 395 it would be hard to tell them apart. As far as I know the main differences are the intake and carb setups. The 394 has a block bolted to the cylinder that the carb bolts up to. The 395 has a rubber intake boot that is clamped to the cylinder. I think the fuel tank on the 395 is the semi transparent material for seeing the fuel level and the 394 is not. I'm sure if there are more differences someone will be able to tell us.

Latest posts

Back