An overlooked PPE item for woodsplitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiak

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A nutcup!! :msp_w00t::dizzy::cry::cry:

We did our annual "rent a splitter and have a splitting party" this past weekend. I'd run a few 3" diameter pieces through for kindling and they seemed to have a propensity to pop in two sending the two halves flying horizontally.

So yeah, just like any PPE I guess I'll have to weigh the benefit versus comfort.

Been there, done that.

I have flipped burgers for more than a year.
I have been nailed in the nads.

I would take option two, takes less time to "get over it".:hmm3grin2orange:

But a cup?? better to stay outta the way.

I had a piece shoot out of the splitter and hit my wife right on the ankle bone from 15' away, took her down:laugh:. when I realized she was okay I had to laugh. she didn't see it coming since she was walking the other way:laugh:

Man, that is a rough way to earn $10k. I would rather flip burgers for a year than take a good wallop to the privates.

I have flipped burgers for more than a year.
I have been nailed in the nads.

I would take option two, takes less time to "get over it".:hmm3grin2orange:

But a cup?? better to stay outta the way.

I've never flipped burgers...but many, many, many, many years ago when I was a kid, the 'boys' took a hit squarely from a girls kick...I'll never, never, ever, ever forget the pain and nausea. So I think I'll have to agree with Avalancher on this one...but a year flipping burgers is a long time I would imagine.

To keep on topic, I imagine a flying chunk of firewood would produce the same...if not more...effect as the kick I received. The splitter I use has the push plate on the ram so any popping pieces shoot away from me.

Kevin

Last edited:
Seems like them smaller rounds get stuck in the rails and bind.

Happened to be once... Once is enough...

I've never flipped burgers...but many, many, many, many years ago when I was a kid, the 'boys' took a hit squarely from a girls kick...I'll never, never, ever, ever forget the pain and nausea. So I think I'll have to agree with Avalancher on this one...but a year flipping burgers is a long time I would imagine.

To keep on topic, I imagine a flying chunk of firewood would produce the same...if not more...effect as the kick I received. The splitter I use has the push plate on the ram so any popping pieces shoot away from me.

Kevin

??? The only place a flying chunk can go is _away_ from the footplate, i.e., at the operator with wedge on ram.

My homebuilt had wedge on beam - all flying splits went away from me. 22 years with it and never got hit once.

My Troybilt has wedge on ram and I have caught several flying chunks. Now I stand out of the way with any chunk likely to 'fly'.

Harry K

Last edited:

Kevin

Another item is shin guards. Both my legs are scarred from ankles to knees from working around firewood. True that I tried chaps which did a good job but didn't like the extra bulk. Now I just due with turning he air blue.

Harry K

Last edited:
??? The only place a flying chunk can go is _away_ from the footplate, i.e., at the operator with wedge on ram.

My homebuilt had wedge on beam - all flying splits went away from me. 22 years with it and never got hit once.

My Troybilt has wedge on ram and I have caught several flying chunks. Now I stand out of the way with any chunk likely to 'fly'.

Harry K

Harry, What you say is so true... My homebuilt also had the wedge on the beam and I never had a problem like I do now. We just make sure the smaller rounds are not caught between the rails on the beam... Seems to help.

Senior moment here. I mesread it as "wedge" on ram.

Harry K

That's cool. I re-read your post and my post a bunch of times to see what the differences were in our descriptions. It could have very well been me having a 'moment'.

Kevin

Back