Anchor Bridge recall for Cougar saddle bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dear Cougar saddle owners,

Monday we learned that a climber experienced failure of the hand-spliced rope bridge attached to Weaver’s 2010 model Cougar saddles (units made since January of 2010 having a solid black rope bridge). No injury has been reported and no further details of the incident have been announced.

Weaver’s splice supplier for this single item Rich Hattier announced a recall/cessation of use and is asking owners to cut off the saddle’s rope bridge and return it with a signed acknowledgement form until a replacement is available. Weaver has reported they are seeking a different splicing source and should have replacements “in a few weeks.”

Anticipating a bottle neck of customer and dealer orders (Weaver reports about 1,200 units sold with this bridge) SherrillTree has pushed Weaver to deliver as many replacement units as possible to our facility until the recall is finalized.

Answers to questions already received:
1. Weaver announced that they are returning to “an alternative splice source” for replacements.
2. SherrillTree and certainly Yale, Samson, New England Rope and others with considerable splicing experience and production capacity could provide strong, reliable and insurable replacements but none will likely step into this OEM roll unless at Weaver’s direct request and approval. In other words, we cannot replace the bridge in this recall with a SherrillTree spliced product.

To keep this process as simple as possible for all, we request the following;
• Cut the (black) rope bridge from your Cougar saddle and mail it along with a signed acknowledgement form (found at SherrillTree.com) and return address to;
SherrillTree
c/o Weaver bridge recall
200 Seneca Road
Greensboro, NC 27406
• Replacements will be shipped FREE OF CHARGE on a first come, first served basis
• For those who send the cut bridge by mail to SherrillTree, I have authorized a $10 dollar credit for your trouble (1 per shipment)
• Alternatively, Weaver will accept digital photos of the removed bridge along with the signed form to make the process easier for SherrillTree customers.

NOTES:
This recall DOES NOT apply to rope bridges colored yellow and black
Please DO NOT send your entire saddle
We will assist anyone with the problem, you DO NOT have to have purchased the Cougar saddle from SherrillTree or a Vermeer dealer.

Further updates on this recall will be posted on http://www.sherrilltree.com

To safety,

Tobe Sherrill

All,

SherrillTree rep and ISA certified arborist Tim Bushnell from Pennsylvania noted the following questions coming from customers in the field regarding the Cougar recall issue. Tim believes (as do I) that customers following the letter of this recall will want to act immediately even though Weaver has no replacement available, meaning a nonfunctional saddle for a minimum of 2 weeks. My answers follow;

1. Can I purchase a Glide (Buckingham) bridge and use it on my Cougar saddle?
A. These bridges are very similar in both length and construction but are not authorized for use on Weaver’s Cougar saddle.

2. What else can I use to form a bridge while I wait?
A. Although many materials have been employed for bridge configurations (e.g. HMPE, Aramid and Polyester cordage as well as flat woven nylon) I would await Weaver's chosen replacement if I were the owner.

3. Can I take a piece of arborist-grade climbing rope, securely attach it to my saddle bridge rings (using a scaffold knot) and use that as my bridge?
A. I understand from Weaver that this hasn’t been “tested” and therefore isn’t recommended.

4. Could you send a new bridge to me before I destroy the old one so I can use my saddle in the meantime?
A. No. According to Weaver the replacement can only be sent upon receipt (or photo) of the out of commission material.

5. Was there any indication of the rope bridge fraying or showing signs of deterioration before the “incident” occurred?
A. Yes, I was told by a Weaver representative that there WAS indication, and the climber for whom the incident occurred was able to safely descend to the ground. The subject bridge material presented clear signs of deterioration, including a worn through jacket.

6. Can you describe the “failure?”
A. The rope bridge’s polyester mantle (exterior layer) was worn through at least 30% the length of the material indicating that proper and advised inspection was not likely followed. The product was reported to have “at least 250 hours of climbing use.”
Please inspect your life safety hardware and software regularly for signs of wear and tear, damage and deterioration. Remove, destroy and replace life support materials not passing a reasonable level of perceived safety. “If something looks worn out, assume it is and that you’re putting your life at an elevated level of risk by not acting.”

7. Was the incident due to poor splicing workmanship or defective materials?
A. In my opinion no. I have reviewed other work of the splicer and believe their craftsmanship to be top notch. The material has yet to be fully analized Again, the incident appears to have been the subject of excessive wear and splices do not appear to be culprit in the failure.

8. How many other such or similar failures have been reported?
A. According to Weaver, none.
9. Does SherrillTree find pleasure in performing recalls of their supplier’s goods?
A. Sure, in much the same way as arborists enjoy having their truck emptied by thieves or returning to jobs that a recent hire-and-fire didn’t do right the first time or finding rocks with a freshly sharpened chain saw or…

We will try to stay atop concerns regarding this recall in an effort to remain “candid” with all involved. Secrets and weak information are helpful to no one.

Second reported failure indicates that visual and/or physical inspection may not reveal a hazard beneath.

IMMEDIATELY REMOVE THIS BRIDGE FROM SERVICE AS DIRECTED BY THE MANUFACTURER!!

Latest posts

Back