Anemic Vermont Castings Defiant Encore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops! Damn, I'm already telling lies. I just got down on the ground with a headlamp on and sure enough I was wrong, my trap door intake (the one controlled by the handle) was pinned wide open for some reason. A tap with a wrench and it came free and is functioning again. So basicly I am able to choke my stove down properly now. This however does not help with the lack of heat.
Now i'm starting to think it is the catalyst.

BTW, the chimney is freshly swept also, and I'm running an 8" chimney.

Well, the catalyst heats up and burns excess gases, so that is a good guess on why less heat if it is malfunctioning and needs replacement.

I do not have that stove, and I'm not familiar with it, but I do have a catalytic stove. The only form of heat I have had for nearly a decade. (Well, I have several stoves running the house) so there are several issues that have caused me performance: yes catalyst go, I have burned them up from running them too hot, hitting it, and coating it with ash. The other issue I have had has been a build up of ash above the cat. Either way, you should pull it, rinse it off, check above it. They are available relatively cheaply now if you are not too broke.

I do not have that stove, and I'm not familiar with it, but I do have a catalytic stove. The only form of heat I have had for nearly a decade. (Well, I have several stoves running the house) so there are several issues that have caused me performance: yes catalyst go, I have burned them up from running them too hot, hitting it, and coating it with ash. The other issue I have had has been a build up of ash above the cat. Either way, you should pull it, rinse it off, check above it. They are available relatively cheaply now if you are not too broke.

Yeah, as I recall last year when I pulled it to clean, it was cracked up pretty good. If I pull it again, I have a feeling it will come apart in my hands. Guess I will bite the bullet and order a catalyst. Local outfit wants $275 for a metal one, Ebay seller wants $194 for ceramic, made in USA. Ceramic it is!

Thanks guys.

In that particular stove design, the cat is a BIG part of the heat!

Oh, just FYI, Encores from many years have that 1986 cast into the fireback.....if yours does, it does not mean it was made in 1986. So it could be much newer.

The cats in that stove will usually last from 4-6 years of fairly steady use. Cats tend to work amazing for the first few months, then they settle down to very good for a long plateau...then, after about 4+ years they head down on a fairly steep angle (chart).

It's very possible for a converter to be in perfect shape as far as looks - and yet not work. On the other hand, it could be falling apart and work decently. It's all a matter of whether the catalyst metal is used up or covered (palladium/platinum).

Oh, bing, make sure you get a written warranty with it which specifies the actual maker! I think they have to be warranted by law (EPA) and this can save you a lot if it goes south prematurely.

Thanks Drone Dude, I was reading about the warranty. I have 30 days to sign up or it is void. I will take care of that right away!

HA, imagine that, they stamp 1986 on stoves of all different years. Must be some sort of inside joke :) Now I'm really curious what year the stove is??

It mentions the warranty and makes it clear that it is your responsibility.

So, all you need to do is ask the seller a question as to exactly which brand....and then be happy with that maker having been in business for a decent length of time. Applied Ceramics and Corning are two biggies. Condar repackages some and probably holds the warranty also.

Just trying to make sure the maker is not just here today...but also around when you need them in 3 or 4 years!

Defiant Encore Model 0028. Plate on back of stove says the model was tested in March 1986. Another plate says certified thru 1992. Another plate says date of manufacture 1529, which I assume is code.

0217132200_zps1e9f5a15.jpg

Last edited:
I had that same stove and I was never happy with it as far as heat output is concerned from new.Eventually got rid of it after 12 years of use.Cat was in bad shape and I found a crack in the fire back.

I had that same stove and I was never happy with it as far as heat output is concerned from new.Eventually got rid of it after 12 years of use.Cat was in bad shape and I found a crack in the fire back.

Stove is known for needing a lot of expensive rebuild and work after some years - but if not pushed hard it should hold up decently.

This is, BTW, one of the first "built from the ground up" stoves engineered and designed to meet the 1990 EPA specs....back at a time when most stove companies were trying to get through the tests, VC invested vast sums of money making this stove from scratch. It surely is a nice piece of furniture (good looking) and if used gently, can be of good service. Problem is, we (in our houses) don't tend to use woodstoves gently - especially in New England! Folks were used to the old Defiants and Vigilants which were blast furnaces - this stove was more moderate, but constant.

Interesting... I love the stove when the cat is working. Very easy on my woodpile and my sinuses and produces nice even heat. The top loader is great and I NEVER get any back puffs of smoke when loading or lighting.

Couldn't wait for the cat to show up gotta watch the Seahawks in the mancave tomorrow. Swapped a rusty Sweet Home stove I had in the back of the shed for now. It's pretty cold this weekend by Seattle standards.
Drone Dude, where in New England are you?

I am in Western Ma - but I sold Vermont Castings when I owned a store outside of Philadelphia.....the Encores did good for our customers (mild weather down there - relatively), but folks up here and north who put 5 or 6 cords a year through them needed to do some fixing after awhile!

For the non-DIY customer, it was easy for the repairs to add up to $800 plus after 4-5 years - and since most folks were used to Fishers and other steel stoves that hardly ever needed anything, some customers were not happy. Fact is, most products which are more complicated (more parts, etc.) and fancier looking will require a bit more money to keep them that way.....

I have to say - the Encore is about as pleasing to my eye as any stove every made. It was designed by these folks:
http://www.**********/talk/wiki/vance-smith/

That link didn't work for me.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like my hearth (hearth dot com) site is blocked - heck, you never know. We must be bad. Anyway, if you look up Vance Smith or Red House design, you'll see the designers.....

I found it, pretty interesting. She did a fine job, they are beautiful stoves.

Latest posts

Back