Annual maintenance cost of bucket truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimberBusinessman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would you say is the average annual maintenance cost of a bucket truck? I see some decent looking forestry bucket trucks from the mid-90's with around 100,000 miles that say they are in good operating condition. Is $6,000 per year on average of repairs and maintenance enough? Obviously, fuel and insurance are on top of that.

$6000 a year budget will probably be insufficient unless you will be doing most of the repair work yourself

I keep separate accounting categories for each of our pieces of equipment.

My 04 f650 bucket cost us a little more than 15k last year. We ended up doing a lot of "one off" type stuff. All new injectors and tires (about 5k). Had some welding and paint for aesthetic stuff (about 3-5k) and other routine maintenance. Had a manifold type thing in the turret start leaking like mad. It was around 600 for the part from altec. Altec parts are exorbitantly overpriced.

I use mostly older equipment and I'm the kind of type that likes for everything to look and function properly. There are a lot of fixes that don't necessarily need to be done but I have them done anyway because little problems bug me.

My guess is your first year you'll spend a lot. Once you've gotten all the major things done it wont be as much in subsequent years as long as you take good care. For a 90's bucket truck you'll certainly have a laundry list of things to do. Just make sure it's a model you can actually find parts for. Also, it helps to get it inspected. The inspection for ours cost around 900

For the fun of it, Here's the breakdown for my chart of accounts under "repairs and maintenance" Yikes!

For the 03 f350 and 99f450 the numbers actually include the purchase prices as I bought them both in November to experiment as haulers for my mini skid. I've since put more money into them!

Other significant issues include my 01 Dump truck blowing an engine, my new holland tractor literally breaking in half. Such is the lot of a tree business owner. But I love it and couldn't do anything else!

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 3.26.10 PM.png

I do spend a lot of money repairing stuff (and I always hire out maintenance and repairs. It's not worth the time for me) but I do not have any debt except for my dump trailer, which isn't much... Next purchase will potentially be an elevator bucket truck. Will need to finance that.

Just be careful. Don't compromise safety for economy.

I keep separate accounting categories for each of our pieces of equipment.

My 04 f650 bucket cost us a little more than 15k last year. We ended up doing a lot of "one off" type stuff. All new injectors and tires (about 5k). Had some welding and paint for aesthetic stuff (about 3-5k) and other routine maintenance. Had a manifold type thing in the turret start leaking like mad. It was around 600 for the part from altec. Altec parts are exorbitantly overpriced.

I use mostly older equipment and I'm the kind of type that likes for everything to look and function properly. There are a lot of fixes that don't necessarily need to be done but I have them done anyway because little problems bug me.

My guess is your first year you'll spend a lot. Once you've gotten all the major things done it wont be as much in subsequent years as long as you take good care. For a 90's bucket truck you'll certainly have a laundry list of things to do. Just make sure it's a model you can actually find parts for. Also, it helps to get it inspected. The inspection for ours cost around 900

For the fun of it, Here's the breakdown for my chart of accounts under "repairs and maintenance" Yikes!

For the 03 f350 and 99f450 the numbers actually include the purchase prices as I bought them both in November to experiment as haulers for my mini skid. I've since put more money into them!

Other significant issues include my 01 Dump truck blowing an engine, my new holland tractor literally breaking in half. Such is the lot of a tree business owner. But I love it and couldn't do anything else!

View attachment 976483

I do spend a lot of money repairing stuff (and I always hire out maintenance and repairs. It's not worth the time for me) but I do not have any debt except for my dump trailer, which isn't much... Next purchase will potentially be an elevator bucket truck. Will need to finance that.

Just be careful. Don't compromise safety for economy.
Thanks for your detailed reply. That was helpful.

Back