Another 028 find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkesler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Must be something in the air these days, as I too picked up a 028 a few days ago. Cranked right up, but idled VERY high. Took it home, cleaned it up, reset the carb screws (H and L were both cranked out 3 or 4 turns), and replaced the air filter and plug. Cranks right up, and pulls decently in the cut. Idle is a little erratic, and it's a tad sluggish so I think I need to fine tune the carb a bit more, but overall it seems ok. The chain also wants to move even with the idle set pretty low. If there is anything else I should check someone let me know.

Did some tweaking on the carb today, and it's still somewhat sluggish on the throttle. Chain still wants to creep as well, so I'm picking up springs to tomorrow.

Checked the compression, and it's ~120 warm. Pulled the plug on my 390 and checked it for comparison, and it showed 155 cold. What you can see of the piston through the exhaust looks fine, with no scoring. Did the rope test, and it hangs there until I start bouncing the saw like a yo yo. Next?

You may have seen my post about picking up a ~30 yr old 028 and it idled real rough but all else looked good. I found the impulse hose was cracked at one accordion pleat and will replace that as soon as I track down the p/n. If your "rope test" means the starter cord won't rewind all the way without shaking the saw, mine did that too and I just took the starter assembly off and cleaned and oiled the spring and the shaft where the plastic cord spool runs and it works fine now. Hope this helps.

Yep, I think a little fuel system TLC (carb kit, fuel lines) would go a long way. It's easy stuff, though, and a very worthy saw.

Hey Jim, the rope test is simply lifting the saw by the starter rope. Good for garage sales to see if a saw has compression or not, as with low compression the saw will drop like a yo yo.

I'm going to rebuild the carb and replace hoses next.

028 coming outta the woodwork

These saws are popping up everywhere all of a sudden. Yeah I got a WB.

Would it be better to just do the carb work and see how it runs, or is the 120 a solid indicator that the time is nigh? If it's rebuild time since the piston looks ok should I just hone and ring, or replace the piston, too?

Last edited:
Put the kit in the carb today, and now have some new problems. Cranked up fine, started to tune the carb and as soon as the saw warmed up it started idling up faster and faster, and the throttle quit responding. Reset the carb and started over, same thing. Works fine until it warms up. Air leak?

Sounds like an air leak. It is that impulse line. You had to mess with it to get the carb off. You aggravated an existing situation....those are my T/S thoughts

Replaced the boot, impulse line and clutch springs. Saw cranks and holds idle fine now, and the sluggish response is better (but still seems to be there, or maybe this saw just isn't as "snappy" as the others). Seems to pull well in the cut now, so I'm going to run it for a bit and see how it works out.

Go ahead and clean the cylinder up and put a new set of rings in.That saw should be "snappy" as you say.
120 is pretty low.Mines' at about 165 and holds it s own with my Dolmar 5100.

The compression is getting a little low for better performance you should at least hone it lightly and install new rings. I did mine a couple weeks back but needed a piston and rings and had 147 lbs starting out, now after 8 tanks of gas through it the comp. is up to 160 and should get a little higher by the time 10 tanks of gas used. Used it 4 hours this morning and put two tanks of gas through it cleaning up storm damage,it works better every hour I put on it. Pioneerguy600

I think I have the air leaks fixed now, as once I set the carb it stays the same after running it for a bit. Pulled out he 260 today, and the 028 is much slower to respond to the throttle. I'll order some rings.

I think I have the air leaks fixed now, as once I set the carb it stays the same after running it for a bit. Pulled out he 260 today, and the 028 is much slower to respond to the throttle. I'll order some rings.

Are you still there? Where you at with your problem?

Are you still there? Where you at with your problem?

I got the rings changed, put it back together and got it running. Seems to be ok, but I have a confession to make...I'm out of wood to cut. :(

Been super busy lately, but as I soon as I can round up some wood I'm going to put some time on it and see how it does.

Alright, it's pretty close now. The idle still varies a little, though, and it still seems a bit sluggish reacting to the throttle. Idles fast when it's cold, then as it warms up the idle slows down. I've changed the intake boot and impulse line, is there anything else beside crank seals? Pressure test next? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Back