Another 041 build.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Bought an 041 farm boss at an auction (6$). Figured out when I got it home that it needed a few parts I didn't have. Went to the local boneyard and came home with a carcass. Guy will probably charge me 20 bucks, bring back what I don't use, been there done that before. Changed out the on/off switch, fixed the recoil, saw fired on a little mix down the carb last night. More work to do today, the fuel inlet for the carb is a little brass tube that's pulled out of the carb body. There's another carb on the carcass........

Carcass has a full wrap on it, and a different muffler with a bigger tube. Lots of compression, anti vibes (which the farm boss doesn't have). Wondering if the carcass might be a super... Going to pull the jug and measure. will it fit the farm boss if it is the 48mm piston?? building a saw for a buddy that needs something bigger than his 026...

How long a bar will a Farm boss comfortably run?? How long for a super?? 24" would be good.........

I'm another one who would really like to know if an 041 Super jug and piston will work on a solid mount (non-AV) 041. I believe I heard that it will interchange on an AV, but I haven't heard anything about fitting on a non-AV.

Got the saw up and running. Still need to put a bar and chain on and put it in the wood, but it runs nice. The other saw I had for parts is a super, (48mm bore) but the piston is a little marked up, and it would definetly need rings to use. decided to just run it as is. 6 dollar saw, recoil repair, on/off switch, and carb from the other saw. CHEAP SAW!!!!!!

Best guess looking at the two, the piston and cylinder from the super would fit, but I don't know for sure. Going to see how it does with a 20" bar this afternoon, might try a 24" with skip tooth if it seems lik it would pull it.

worthless%5B1%5D.gif

Ran into a problem with this saw. Thought I should run a tank or two of fuel through it before sending it to my buddy, so I took it with me yesterday on a trip to the field to clean up some big wind damaged hard maples. Saw cuts great, will pull a 20" full chisel chain buried in hard maple. Developed a problem with the clutch though, dragging bad, chain won't stop spinning. Never dealt with a clutch on one of these older saws before, am I right in assuming a left hand thread on the nut holding it on? Don't know it I need a spring on the clutch, something stuck in there maybe.....
Another question while I think of it, is the oiler adjustable on an old 041 farm boss? (no anti-vibes) If so, how?

BTW, pictures from a week ago at home, played with it in the woodpile....... Happy now??? :D

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85671&stc=1&d=1231075039

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85672&stc=1&d=1231075079

Last edited:
yes the oil-er should be adjustable, have you taken the saw apart? it is on the right side of the saw, under the air filter cover, orange, knob, with a screw driver slot in it. yes left hand thread
you really need to get a service manual before you work on anything

Thanks for the heads up on the oiler, I remember seeing the orange knob when I was putting another carb on it. Never seen a carb as worn as the one I took off, MAJOR slop on the choke shaft and throttle shaft. And thanks for reminding me that I bought the Clymer service manual a couple of years ago. Memory ain't what it used to be........:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the oiler, I remember seeing the orange knob when I was putting another carb on it. Never seen a carb as worn as the one I took off, MAJOR slop on the choke shaft and throttle shaft. And thanks for reminding me that I bought the Clymer service manual a couple of years ago. Memory ain't what it used to be........:D

That must be somewhat typical for the throttle and choke shafts to wear out on a 041. That is about the only major part my Dad has changed on his 041 that we bought him new in 1977, but it's seen a lot of use, and still runs good to this day. You have to keep in mind though, that the manual that came with my brother's 041 says right on the front cover, "Occasional Use Only." LOL, if the 041 is a "homeowner grade" saw, I wonder how long one of their "professional grade" saws would last from that era?

Mine has a trigger that sticks, and i'm not sure how to fix it. Does it pop out of there for a replacement? Mine was used by a tree service for 8 years before dad bought it. He cut a ton of wood with it for probably 10-15 years. I've had it for 5 years, its all original. Carries 150+pounds of compression. Other than the trigger its a good saw.

Mine has a trigger that sticks, and i'm not sure how to fix it. Does it pop out of there for a replacement?

You need to remove the rubber cover on the rear handle.
1) Unscrew the upper and lower parts of the handle using the screw at the back.
2) Put the trigger lock on so the button is less of an obstruction to sliding the rubber off.
3) Use a fat flat-headed screwdriver to loosen the rubber up at the trigger end, prise it over the trigger lock and trigger lock boss. You should now be able to wiggle or slide it off - Stihl say they are glued on, but by now the glue is worthless.
4) The trigger assembly is just held in by a couple of pins you can push out with a screwdriver and then clean it all up or replace as needed.

Oh, and if the rubber appears to stay distorted after you've stretched it - put it in a very warm place for a bit before refitting - it softens and will then go on again more easily. Then put the whole handle (or saw!) in a very warm place, and the rubber goes back to it's original shape. You might want to use glue to refit it, but I didn't seee the need - it seems to stay put perfectly given that it has the trigger lock boss to locate it.

Back