MS261 - first tune up, did I screw up the carb?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FORDY9

farmsteader
Reaction score
Hey all!

Been lurking here for a while. Picked up a 261 (not M) used from a guy that was convinced it was a Farm Boss. Sold it to me cheap, still had the stickers on it.

I took it in to get it "serviced" for the first time, as I have done the little maintenance myself the last couple years. Right before I took it in, I Muffler Modded it, hoping they'd tach it and make it good. Well, got it home and it started, ran okay, but I wasn't convinced they tuned it well. So I took matters into my own hands.

Out came a drywall screw and I pulled out the limiter. To discover I didn't need to, I just needed a 2mm Allen! Put the limiter back on, screwed out the H screw one then out from seated, and ..... Nothing. Won't start. Tried 1/4 turn increments from 1/2 out all the way up to 2 1/2 out, and I can't get it to start.

Did I screw up my saw? Do I need a new carb? Or more patience? Or...?

Thanks all!

Hey mate! From reading your post I presume you don’t know how to tune a saw? I think a good starting point is this video.

From there we can progress forward knowing we are starting with a set baseline. If it doesn’t respond like mine does in this video, then we can start diagnosing / fault finding!

Thanks for the reply! Great videos, and great quality information! You picked up a subscriber!

Apparently I jumped the gun a bit when I posted yesterday. It must have been a simple flooding, because this morning on 1 turn out on the high screw it fired right up. Simultaneously feeling shame and relief. Oh well, that's life.

I appreciate the help, as now that it runs I'll make sure it's dialed in for tuning thanks to your vid.

Thanks all! Now to go make chips!

Back