Another 2100 available for us PNW guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewspens

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found a husky 2100 for sale up in Port Angeles. Anyone want the info? The seller is calling it a 2100XP thin ring. Asking 150 for it, looks a little beat up on the outside. Let me know if anyone wants his contact info.

What is the difference?

What are the differences between thin and thick ring? How do I know which one I already have?

Plus, if I buy it, my wife would probably chain it to my ankle and puch me off a dock somewhere. I already get funny looks when I look at saws, don't use the five I have often enough. Still need to work on an 036 sitting in my shop for a friend.

Andrew,
I saved you from your wife's wrath and picked it up this afternoon. It's a little rough on the outside but starts right up, idles and revs smoothly. Missing chainbrake and top cover is really faded and has a few cracks but will fill the bill for some of the large diameter wood I run into from time to time. I am interested in the "thin ring" designation as well.

Jim

Good score

I picked up my 2100cd last summer, only 50 bucks for mine, though. Just needed a little tlc and a carb kit. A world of difference compared to todays high-revving screamers. Those old beasts have more grunt then they know what to do with! These things make great mill saws, and they are also fun to bring out when the storms hit. The neighbor walks out to clear his yard just beaming with pride over the wild thingy he got at wally world. It is really fun to explain that small motorcycles have engine smaller than your saw.:greenchainsaw:

The only way to tell what piston it has is to pull the muffler and take a look see. The thick ring is cast iron and 1.5 mm thick. The thin ring is .8mm (I think, I have to measure) and chrome, they look more like Wiseco rings. Both pistons use two rings.

Is there that big of a difference between thick and thin rings??

I may re-ring mine in the future so am starting the parts prowl now. I'm pretty sure it's a thick ring, but pistons are cheap...is it worth changing over?

Nikko

I may re-ring mine in the future so am starting the parts prowl now. I'm pretty sure it's a thick ring, but pistons are cheap...is it worth changing over?

Nikko

There is a big difference. There is more going on than just the ring difference. The thin ring piston is full skirted and has much larger transfer windows. The difference is substancial on how the saw will run and its worth changing if you can find one and if you dont mind spending a few buck$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Of course, when I say a substancial difference, I am speaking as a racer and we are talking tenths of seconds. If you are just going to cut wood with it a thick ring piston is fine.

I like the Husky 2100 also. The thin ring Husky 2100 is a good saw. It is true I will take a Homey over a Husky but a nice saw is just that a NICE SAW.

Bill

I took a swing and I missed.....

But I made Gary chuckle, thats enough for me.

Now I have to go look one of these up on your recommendation Bill.

Nikko

Where are you getting your parts from? I see you are a local guy, do you know of a good husky dealer around here? I went to a guy in Burnaby and he gave me the impression that the old saws shouldn't get used anymore since there is a parts problem with them. I bought a fuel line and a filter off him and he basically said it was a waist of money.

Martin

Martin - I go to Pacific Arborist in North Van. If the parts are still available they'll order them in for me and if not, it's off to eBay etc. I try to make it painless for them by telling them the P/N I need rather than have them look it up.

It also helps to learn which other saws share common parts to yours. I recently needed a Woodruff key for my flywheel but they're no longer available. Form this forum I learned that the ignition and flywheel from a 2100 can be used on a 480 so I figured the key may be the same. PA had an old 480 in the back and when I tore it down, sure enough, they key was the same.

What is it you're looking for?

Nikko

Martin - I go to Pacific Arborist in North Van. If the parts are still available they'll order them in for me and if not, it's off to eBay etc. I try to make it painless for them by telling them the P/N I need rather than have them look it up.

It also helps to learn which other saws share common parts to yours. I recently needed a Woodruff key for my flywheel but they're no longer available. Form this forum I learned that the ignition and flywheel from a 2100 can be used on a 480 so I figured the key may be the same. PA had an old 480 in the back and when I tore it down, sure enough, they key was the same.

What is it you're looking for?

Nikko

I am not looking for anything particular, I just want a decent dealer that doesn't look funny at me and stressed out when I want parts for an older saw. How is PA price wise in comparison with some of the online dealers?

Martin

Latest posts

Back