Another chainsaw poll? Yup!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the worse saw on the market?

• Homelite

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • Poulan

Votes: 38 46.9%

• Total voters

mrpotatohead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is to be a little different however. Rather than ranting and arguing about the best possible chainsaw out there, we're gonna try to find the worse piece of junk out there. I was gonna just do a thread and let people post whatever, but I decided on a poll, cause I figure it would be one of two manufactures anyway. But since i could be wrong, feel free to speak up for, or should I say talk down any model you choose.

The new version of these models are the same pea in one pod. Mere cheap throw away saws. If you ask this question 20 years ago I would say the same, but my answer would be they were both good brands.

My buddy cuts and sells firewood. He started with Poulans. It was all he could afford at the time. Now he has a Husky 450, but he still uses the Poulans too.
I use to think Poulans were junk until now, but I think they have their place. The Poulans my buddy uses held up alright. Yeah they are not the best saws made, but they are a third of the cost too.
If you didn't have the money to spend on a saw or if you had to clean some some limbs up and may never use the saw again. Then why not Poulan?

my wild thing kicked ass. kicked mine every time i used it too!!!
always started and cut wood, thing is most WT users
don't own a file!!

The new Chinese Homelites make the Poulans look like great saws.

But I agree with Banshee that for a guy who only needs a saw for occasional clean up around the yard a Poulan is the way to go.

Last edited:
The Macs sold today are just a discrace and IMO are the worst made. The Homelites are the slowest cutting saw I've ever used. The Poulans are junk too but they cut good with a full house chain I've owned the PP380 and it was a good powerful saw that chewed past my buddies 036 and I had no complaints about the PP505.

These saws all used to be top of the line and they let it slip away to Stihl and Husky. You never used to hear anything about Husky back in the day and now they have alot of the market.

All of these names deserve respect they earned it. I don't understand how they lost out and quit making a good quality saw. Fill me in.

As far as I know, the old North American-made brands all fell victim to being bought out by huge international conglomerate companies only interested in making a quick buck. So rather than producing a long-lasting, quality item they produce cheapies overseas and ship them in to be sold at big-box stores. So while they may stand up to some intermittent use by the average homeowner, there's no way they could take the abuse that most of us here would throw at them and LAST. Husqvarna was actually a very late comer to the chainsaw game, late 60s if I remember right. But they were bought up by Electrolux, along with Jonsereds, Partner, Pioneer, and Poulan (and I may be forgetting a couple others). Fortunately they had the sense to continue to make a good, professional-quality line of saws, though why they chose to disgrace Poulan is a mystery to me. There are others here with much more knowledge about the recent history of saw brands though. Everything's made disposable now, so it can be sold at Wal-Mart for a bargain because everyone's been conditioned to prefer cheap over quality. Same thing that's happening to almost everything that used to be made here at home - cars, tools, electronics, you name it.

Last edited:
I have always told my crew; a chainsaw is like a woman, a good one is fun to mess with, a bad one will drive you nuts!! Imho! I THINK THE STHILS AND HUSKY PROFESSIONAL SAWS ARE WORKS OF ART, BEAUTIFUL PIECES OF EQUIPMENT. NOTHING CAN BE MADE IDIOT PROOF! THEY ARE HALF PLASTIC, BUT THATS GREAT IF SOME GORILLA DOESN`T HANG THEM UP AND THE PULL THEM APART. IN A PERFECT WORLD EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE TO BUY THE SAW THEY USE, IT BIT THEY WOULD HAVE FEWER REPAIRS. SORRY I UPSET MY OWN SELF!! HA HA Ron

Last edited:
I just voted on my own poll. I was torn between the two, and decided to cast my vote for, or should I say against Poulan. The only reason is that some of the Homelites I've seen have a Carlton bar and chain, which gives it a slight edge over a Poulan out of the box IMO. Other than that, I left myself a tough choice to make.

I gotta go with the more recent macs

Funny you mention that. I just came from a local shop and he had one there complaining about what garbage it was. It looked like it had what would be a 3/8 low profile/picco skip chain, and he said getting parts was like finding a gold nugget in your sink drain.

Latest posts

Back