Another firewood saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saucydog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First of all:YES, I MADE USE OF THE FRIGGIN' SEARCH ENGINE!
Now,my wife's uncle has been picking my brain for a good firewood saw.He'll likely buck up 6-7 cords a year.He doesn't want to pony up for a pro saw and likely doesn't need to(did I really just say that?).I looked at the lower end Huskies(everything from the 350 to 55 seem cheesy) and Stihls @ my local dealer.The 290,310, and 390 seem like the best saws for what he'll spend;any recommendations?And no, the 361 is NOT an option.

Well I guess the first thing to know is what are the dealer's in your area like? Husky, Jred, Stihl, Dolmar, Redmax and Makita (yes I know it's a Dolmar, but different dealer network). This could be very important if the uncle doesn't work on his own saws and you don't want to have him coming over every time the chain gets loose.

How old is he, a lighter, smaller saw would be slower but at the end of the day might be the difference between him liking his new saw and hating it because of the weight.

All good points Toyjunkie!My local dealer sells both Husky and Stihl with service that is affordable, honest, and reliable.The consumer-model Stihls seemed to be better-built IMO and if he buys a Stihl I can just play stupid if he has any questions or problems withit."Yer saw ain't working right?Geez, I'm not as familiar with german technology,I'd call up the dealer if'n I was you.":)

IMO

I would say the MS390 would be perfect if he can swing it, same weight as the 290 and 310 (13lbs advertised) but it is a 64cc saw with 4.3 HP (.1 less than the MS361) and better suited to the "firewood" category.

:cheers:

my firewood saw is the ms660:greenchainsaw:
I have 310 and really like it too. I cut about 8 cords with it this winter and really noticed some wear and tear, specifically the sprocket, which of course is cheap to replace. IMO, if you are cutting that much firewood a year you would be way better off with a pro series saw. If $$$ isnt a factor. just my two cents.

If you can get away with a 260 great. Otherwise...361:monkey:

When it comes to saw choices I think it is important to know:
1. How much wood will be cut (a lot = prosaw for durability) with 6-7 cords a semi-pro saw should do it.
2. What size trees/logs will primarily be cut? Which really means what size bar will be run. This is the most important factor in determining power needs (how big of a saw), combined with #3.
3. What type of wood will be cut - hardwood or softwood?

Have your local dealer show your uncle a Husky 359. Lighter than the Stihl models your considering, and should have ample power.

Al:cheers:

IMO

I would say the MS390 would be perfect if he can swing it, same weight as the 290 and 310 (13lbs advertised) but it is a 64cc saw with 4.3 HP (.1 less than the MS361) and better suited to the "firewood" category.

The price is pretty close to the 361 as well, and really shouldn't be.......:censored:

In reality, the 390 etc is about 1.1 lbs heavier than the 361 (13.4 lbs), and then there are all the other quality differences........

Last edited:
The price is pretty close to the 361 as well, and really shouldn't be.......:censored:

In reality, the 390 etc is about 1.1 lbs heavier than the 361 (13.4 lbs), and then there are all the other quality differences........

He doesn't want to pony up for a pro saw and likely doesn't need to.

I looked at the lower end Huskies(everything from the 350 to 55 seem cheesy)

The 290,310, and 390 seem like the best saws for what he'll spend;any recommendations?

And no, the 361 is NOT an option.

So Troll after reading the original post, would you recommend the 290 or the 310???? :laugh:

Have your local dealer show your uncle a Husky 359. Lighter than the Stihl models your considering, and should have ample power.

Al:cheers:

When I bought my 310 I looked into the 359, and would have bought it except for the fact that the husky dealer here he would have to special order it and had never heard of it. His exact words were "that must be an old model or something, Ive never heard of it, dont know if husqvarna even makes it anymore." I told him to look into it, and i drove to the stihl dealer and handed him my money for the 310 that was sitting on the shelf. The dealer made the difference in my case. Im happy with the fact that I can walk into the stihl dealer, BS with them about saws and I know the part I need is in stock. That is worth a lot. Both great saws, go with the dealer that is knowledgeable and there for you.

They know me too well in there....unfortunately thats why I bought the ms660 four months later. Now they want to sell me its little brother...:cheers: Man, chainsaws are fun.:clap:

If it's 16-18" wood that will be the largest you will cut, I say go with the 350! It's light, plenty of power, and really is built better than it looks. I know how cheesey they look, but you would be amazed at what they can take for abuse!

Bigger than that, I wouldn't settle for less than the 390. It will run a 25" alright, and is great with a 20". I figure all three of the Stihls weigh the same, may as well get the most power out of it.

If it's 16-18" wood that will be the largest you will cut, I say go with the 350! It's light, plenty of power, and really is built better than it looks. I know how cheesey they look, but you would be amazed at what they can take for abuse!

Bigger than that, I wouldn't settle for less than the 390. It will run a 25" alright, and is great with a 20". I figure all three of the Stihls weigh the same, may as well get the most power out of it.

+1

350 is probably the best 'plastic' homeowner saw available...

390 is preferable to 290 or 310... no replacement for displacement

+1 The differences between the models should warrant more than the $100 price difference. The 390 is too close in price to not go with the pro model.

That said, my vote is for the 310 with a muffler mod.

Go with the Stihl 290 Farm Boss. It was the first Stihl that I bought 10 years ago. It has cut many trees and it is still running without a hitch. In the pic, it's the one positioned on the ground, forward of my 361. The 440 gets to ride.

+1 The differences between the models should warrant more than the $100 price difference. The 390 is too close in price to not go with the pro model.

That said, my vote is for the 310 with a muffler mod.

For a guy looking to spend 400.00 on a saw a stretch to 500.00 is quite a leap even though he knows it's probably the best way to go, now he might be able to reason it out in his head or convince the wife the extra hundred is worth it.... but a jump to 600.00 just aint gonna happen, he'll go back to the 400.00 saw just about every time. I know most folks here hate the dreaded "homeowner saw" but the MS390 really does have it's place. It will do the work of the MS361 :)eek: I said it) not as fast, not as comfortable, and a good bit heavier at the end of the day, but tree for tree it will cut the same wood. Not the saw I would buy, and not the best tool for the job, but a good saw that will get the trees to fit in the stove and serve him well for many years to come.

Unless money is the deciding factor (and it may be) I wouldn't even consider the other two (290, 310) no matter what. Some folks will tell you it depends on the size of the wood, and normally it would, but the three saws in question are the exact same saw, with the exact same weight (within a few ounce's) so buying the smaller cc saw will get you nothing but less performance and a cheaper price tag.

So if price is the deciding factor put them in order and get the biggest one he can afford, if he can swing the price tag get the MS390. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back