another new guy with ???'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks man u been a huge help. another question the gauge of the chain is the thickess of the driver?

i been looking at chain for the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how the place i bought my chain at this morning (for my little saw) :censored: me so bad!!! 21.09 for a 16 in oregon chain OUCH:buttkick: and its got some goofy lookin things in front of the rakers. they almost look like another raker but i ground em down, hopefully itll be ok

Last edited:
IF you want to go with .325 you can get a Baileys Arbormax bar&chain combo for even less. I don't think it's listed on the website or catolog. But it's in their sale flyer.

18" bar and chain combo Item # AMC 18 ss63 $26.95

20" bar and chain combo Item # AMC 20 ss63 $28.95

thanks man u been a huge help. another question the gauge of the chain is the thickess of the driver?

i been looking at chain for the last 20 minutes trying to figure out how the place i bought my chain at this morning (for my little saw) :censored: me so bad!!! 21.09 for a 16 in oregon chain OUCH:buttkick: and its got some goofy lookin things in front of the rakers. they almost look like another raker but i ground em down, hopefully itll be ok

Gauge = thickness of driver(part that rides in groove in bar) You can run .50 or .63. Just match bar&chain gauge. Your rim needs to be for .325 or .375. You can run either gauge on it. The chain you got would most likey be safety chain. WDO

after looking at pics on the web it is safty chain. do you know off hand what it takes to replace the rim, i havnt had the cover off yet and in the process of getting ready for work.

would u do a 18 or 20? and go to 3/8 vs sticking to .325? my "little saw is 325 and the chains look to be interchangeable now, but would like the longer cut, is 2" enough?

i just went to the local stihl dealer bar was 40 chain was 20 and sprocket kit was 35. but this bailys is less expensive? does baileys sell om stuff or is it after market? (eg. stihl/rollmatic bar not a carlton or windsor) what do you do, im still in the dark when it comes to these machines, but am picking it all up farly fast.

You don't have to buy the sprocket "kit," just the little rim, unless the clutch drum is messed up. The rim should be around 5-7 dollars.

3/8 is likely the standard for this size saw. 3/8 pitch, 7 tooth is probably ideal. Ebay will have aftermarket fo rless than 5 dollars if you search it out. Bar gauge is only important in terms of matching to the chain. I like .063, but nearly everything on Ebay is .050.

Last edited:
after looking at pics on the web it is safty chain. do you know off hand what it takes to replace the rim, i havnt had the cover off yet and in the process of getting ready for work.

would u do a 18 or 20? and go to 3/8 vs sticking to .325? my "little saw is 325 and the chains look to be interchangeable now, but would like the longer cut, is 2" enough?

Myself? I would go with the 18" .325 arbormax combo. Because I could run it on my 026 if I HAD to. And the price is dirt cheap (I'm a tight@$$). And if your other saw is a .325 as well, that would mean one file would sharpen them both as well. All that being said, The .375 would probably be a little better in the cut with the power of the 34. Clear yet? :dizzy: WDO

P.s. What type of wood are you mainly cutting?

Provided he doesn't want too much for it, you really can't go wrong.

...unless you get arrested for receiving and concealing.

The story I'm getting is that the seller borrowed it and now wants to sell it. Sure doesn't sound like abandoned property to me. What's the timeline here? Did he borrow it three years ago or last fall?
Did he take it back to the owner and the owner refuse to accept it? Did he tell the owner he wants it gone?

I'm reminded of a friend that loaned out most of his reloading gear (everything but the dies in calibers that the borrower didn't need). When he got tired of waiting for the borrower to bring it back, and really needed it back, he went to the borrower. That was when the borrower told him that he'd traded everything (press, dies, scale, etc) in on a progressive press. The owner of the stolen (ok, converted) goods went home mad. I would have asked to 'borrow' the progressive press and some dies, and never given it back.

...unless you get arrested for receiving and concealing.

The story I'm getting is that the seller borrowed it and now wants to sell it. Sure doesn't sound like abandoned property to me. What's the timeline here? Did he borrow it three years ago or last fall?
Did he take it back to the owner and the owner refuse to accept it? Did he tell the owner he wants it gone?

I'm reminded of a friend that loaned out most of his reloading gear (everything but the dies in calibers that the borrower didn't need). When he got tired of waiting for the borrower to bring it back, and really needed it back, he went to the borrower. That was when the borrower told him that he'd traded everything (press, dies, scale, etc) in on a progressive press. The owner of the stolen (ok, converted) goods went home mad. I would have asked to 'borrow' the progressive press and some dies, and never given it back.

I don't think I would lend out any of my stuff to people like that...

wdo i plan to cut mosly poplar, but some ash oak and maybe even a pine or 2.

i thought i would keep it short but the whole story is as follows: the guy that has it bought it new. his house burnt up late summer/early fall 2007. a bunch of us from work went over to help him out build a new house (i was carpenter and worked in a factory setting until reacently starting a new job). the now second "owner" of the saw was given the saw as payment for his work on this house, but doesnt realize the saw is acually his, so i was told, along with a bunch of other stuff as payment. so the origonal owner is trying to get ahold of the second owner who is suppoesed to have the saw in his possesion to see if he wants to sell it, or to come and get it and all the other stuff. get it???

Back