Another Square grind ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I really like to use Square ground chain I sharpen by hand and yes it takes me a long time!Now this post is regarding making Square out of round .325 can it be done on a grinder? I use woodsman pro .325 and it has allot of meat on the cutter to work with. This has nothing to do with common sense just something I would like to try:givebeer:
I did not want to Hi Jack the other Square ground thread.
Merry Christmas everyone!

I run square ground .325 on my modded 260. It's faster than 3/8 on that saw. I converted Stihl RS with my Silvey. Works great.
what size wheel? will If or when lol I get a grinder will I need ?
I also like .325 on my 2152 soon to be modded running a 16'' bar.

I have a loop of .325 RS that I converted to square by hand. It took a long time, but it' absolutely rips! It only comes out for special occasions, though. I have 3/8 square that I run most of the time - something I can replace by saying "Please order a loop of RSLK" instead of spending another 2 hours on the sharpening bench.

what size wheel? will If or when lol I get a grinder will I need ?
I also like .325 on my 2152 soon to be modded running a 16'' bar.

.325-8. A lot of people have said 3/8 is faster due to chip clearance, but I have not found that to be the case with this saw. Both chains came off the same grinder with the same angles, Both cut well, but the .325 is faster.

Last edited:
I think you probably could do it, As an eager 14 y/o I thought I was helping, and filed the wrong saw with the square file. It seemed to take forever and dad was a little bent, but he ended up with Square chisel chain on both of his saws. If I remember right he finished the conversion after he caught me "helping".

I find that square 3/8 is noticeably faster cutting than .325 round. Makes the decision to run 3/8 on my small saws easy.

Back