Another vintage saw face off!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to see one of the 1-70 family direct drives against a C9. Give the 1-70family a few cc's for the C9's pyramid reed setup.

I'd run a C7 against a 250 if I could swap in the pyramid reed setup from a C9 into it first! :D

Super 250'd probably beat a C9. Much newer design. Of course the 1-70 family's a few years older than a C9...

Now a strong running 600D would put a hurtin' on most any five-inch mac of similar vintage (both running .404). Not talking a PM650 though. Apples and oranges here. A 550 Homie would be of similar vintage. Probably still take the PM650 there...

I'd realy like to see an XP1000/1020/1050 run against one of the six-inch macs of the period. One the slow-and-painful side, we could race an 1100G/1120G/1130G against a six inch mac gear drive. Bring a lawn chair and the beer if you're watching that race!

Remember Baraboo?

Bill; McCulloch 1-85 7.35 / Homelite 770GS 7.95 (high gear) 12.16 (low gear)

My 1-85 is currently laid up, need to replace the output shaft. I will try to rob one from a 1-60 series saw I have that is kind of rough. I did find a few 7 tooth sprockets in 1/2" pitch.

Overall winner of 5 In³ (80 cc) class was McCulloch 250, second was McCulloch D-44 (I suspect is was in fact a 44A @ 80cc), but then there were no Homelites entered in that class.

McCulloch 250 Super is an 87cc saw like the 1-70/71/72 series or 380/440/450, I don't think there was anything really special or different about them, just the 2.125 bore with 1.5 stroke vs 1.375 for the 80 cc saws. According to McBob's list some were just the 80cc saws.

Any 99cc Homelite C series saws? I have a 550 McCulloch that runs pretty well.

When and where are we going to do this?

Mark

The Super 250 was pretty much the last of the series, all that went on before it was incorparated into it. Saint McBob says that the port timing, along with other things, made it one of the hottest 87cc Mac ever built. I still have the one I bought back in 1976, it ate 100+ year old second growth Redwood very well, most of that ran better than 48".

Super250d.jpg

We need some real timber to show how the big saws worked, I would love to see the contest in this type of wood, after all, that is what they were built for.

988.jpg

Bill; McCulloch 1-85 7.35 / Homelite 770GS 7.95 (high gear) 12.16 (low gear)

My 1-85 is currently laid up, need to replace the output shaft. I will try to rob one from a 1-60 series saw I have that is kind of rough. I did find a few 7 tooth sprockets in 1/2" pitch.

Overall winner of 5 In³ (80 cc) class was McCulloch 250, second was McCulloch D-44 (I suspect is was in fact a 44A @ 80cc), but then there were no Homelites entered in that class.

McCulloch 250 Super is an 87cc saw like the 1-70/71/72 series or 380/440/450, I don't think there was anything really special or different about them, just the 2.125 bore with 1.5 stroke vs 1.375 for the 80 cc saws. According to McBob's list some were just the 80cc saws.

Any 99cc Homelite C series saws? I have a 550 McCulloch that runs pretty well.

When and where are we going to do this?

Mark

I've gotta see this. At least on video.

Homelite XP1000/XP1020/XP1050/1050Super saws are all 6.1ci/100cc, and are basicaly beefed up C-Series saws with more cubes and pyramid reed valve setups. Of the C-Series saws, only the C9 and most (but not all) C91 saws had the pyramid reed. XP1050s have automatic oilers. Many parts will interchange between the C and XP (Extra Power) saws.

A strong running 1050 Super with a Tillotson carb (not the Walbro that was also used on late 1050Supers and lowers the output of the 1050 a bit) would be a good race with your 550, and is from the same vintage. I'd love to see it.

A 650 Homelite is a piston port 6.1ci/100cc saw from the mid 70's and would probably be faster. I have a friend who has one that was once a race saw. It has some damage from a tree fall. Been trying for a few years to get that one from him.

The Super 250 was pretty much the last of the series, all that went on before it was incorparated into it. Saint McBob says that the port timing, along with other things, made it one of the hottest 87cc Mac ever built. I still have the one I bought back in 1976, it ate 100+ year old second growth Redwood very well, most of that ran better than 48".

Super250d.jpg

We need some real timber to show how the big saws worked, I would love to see the contest in this type of wood, after all, that is what they were built for.

988.jpg

Nice pics Randy. I heartily agree about needing some big timber to do the testing in. These saws were never intended to pull a 16" bar realy fast through a 12" log.

A Mac 125 or Homelite 2100 does a lot better against the modern beasts when they're all required to pull a 72" Cannon burried in Redwood!

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...5c53d58313f2fcf588256b780013aafa?OpenDocument

6.83ci/112cc with a pyramid reed setup. That's a hell of a saw. Loud, powerful, and HEAVY. Give you $100.00 shipped for it! :D

I think it'd have trouble against a 750 Homelite in a race, unless they're both pulling BIG bars.

It would probably take a bit more than a 100 bucks to pry it from my collection. Though when I bought it ($35 craigslist special), my intention was to sell it. That all changed after the third pull when it started up.

I'd imagine a 750 would probably whip up on it pretty good, and you'd be able to lift your arms at the end of the day. But it's still fun to take out and run once in a while.

It would probably take a bit more than a 100 bucks to pry it from my collection. Though when I bought it ($35 craigslist special), my intention was to sell it. That all changed after the third pull when it started up.

I'd imagine a 750 would probably whip up on it pretty good, and you'd be able to lift your arms at the end of the day. But it's still fun to take out and run once in a while.

Yeah I figured it would. :cheers:

Over the last couple of years watching Craigslist I've just missed out on a Homelite XL923, a Mac 125, SEVERAL old Homelite gear drives, a Homelite C52...

According to Acres site the 750 and your 995D are within a pound or so of each other. Both around 23 pounds for the powerhead. I'd imagine that your 995D's a little heavier though...

Those later upright cylinder Homelites are surprising performers. With an 8 or 9 pin rim (or 10 pin if running 3/8") it'd surprise a few folks in a race. When pulling a BIG bar it'd make some of the newer piston port saws sweat a little...

...According to Acres site the 750 and your 995D are within a pound or so of each other. Both around 23 pounds for the powerhead. I'd imagine that your 995D's a little heavier though...

I never actually looked at the weight comparison before. I didn't realize they were that close. I've never run a 750, but have briefly run a 650. That was several years before I got my 995, though. It seems like the 995 is a lot heavier. I imagine balance might have something to do with that, but it's hard to say. One of these days I'm going to have to break down and spend the dollars on a 750 so I can run them side by side to compare...

There is a CNY GTG growing on this site in another thread that might be a good place to test& time some of these old monsters..if that doesn't work;....I could also host a GTG and provide some serious sized timber to grind thru..Hard Maple, Soft Willow, Ash, Cherry, Beach, take your pick.

I have a pretty good running 80.5 cc C-7 used as a "Stump Saw" that could either wear a 20in Stihl bar/chain combo or a 36 inch bar/.404 chain comb

Also have a really good running 100cc XP1050 to compare against that 87 cc Mac.

Last but not least I could bring a 82.1 S-XL925 with a 28ibch bar and a 82cc 903 with a 20 inch bar for comparison with Mac's. (The S-XL runs much stronger with more RPM's than the 903)

My Mac 660 Gear drive runs really well but I don't have a good loop of 1/2 chain for it.

I can tell you my ("getting tired after milling over 4000 board ft of lumber and it was OLD when I started!)" Mac 797 will trounce all of the above mentioned Homies in every catagory..but it also has 123cc to play with.

Latest posts

Back