Another way to make tuned pipe..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Guys using a kind of backyard "hydroforming" method to make tuned exhausts for2-stroke scooters. Basically, they plasma the basic shape out of sheet and weld it up along with a fitting for a hydraulic pump. The pipe is then inflated into 3 dimensions with the pump.

Here is a video of a guy using a pressure washer for the pump:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_Z3AIFSd60

What? no one said "wow"...:)

This method is a joke, and I say that, already trying this type of pipe building years ago myself. You lay it out, weld it, pump it up, and hope it doesn't wrinkle to much.....and as you probably noticed it leaks....so you go back and reweld all the holes....or in Lakeside's case coat it with JBweld....Hahahahaha! Getting the right diminsions is what's tough. It's an Okie way to build a pipe.

You might have to use heavier material than desireable for a saw pipe. 24 guage which is close to.025 thick puckers up something fierce in some spots before the metal will stretch where it needs to. i wish that I had taken pictures but I was not in that mood at that time. I did not even try to incorporate the sweep on the header but planned on bevel cutting and rotating. The stinger, header, and dwell part came out ok but the shoulders at transition of the diffuser and reflector looked like a chow puppy. Maybe something nearer 1/ 16 thick might work. It seems to be done on some bike pipes so that might be the secret.

I used to know a guy that fixed dented mx pipes in a similar way. He would cap each end and pressurize the pipe. Then he would use an acetylene torch to heat the dent until it popped out. If it weren't for the damage to the pipe's finish you would never know it had been dented.

Detroit has been hydro-framing vehicle frames for a number of years...nothing new here. This is one hell of a pressure washer...

Latest posts

Back