Another what is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt got it 1st. Motorcycle exhaust on my Speeco. This was less than a tank of fuel thru it tonight and it wasn't even real dark yet. He had to wrap it in tape because it would make sparks with the splitter trash hitting it. The oil is getting so hot it's melting the sticker on the hydraulic cylinder. I'm going to have to put a bigger oil tank on it or some kind of cooler.
IMG_00001330.jpg IMG_00001335.jpg

You sure she ain't running to lean? What size motor did it come from stock. I was thinking engine oil cooler or even a heater core to desipate the oil heat........

I don't think that motor likes to push the exhaust threw that muffler. That being said, I have a Honda 440ex that will make the pipes glow and it is jetted right?

That's looks like my motorcycle exhaust, when my grandpa told me to use the fuel can off the back porch. I refueled and took off thru the pasture. Got back from checking the cattle almost dark when he holler, "come here boy". "What can did you use?" Evidently kerosene in a half empty motorcycle is just enough to run and run hot. Needless to say I didn't foul the plug for a while. He made me drain it and go get the right can. About whipped my end for using up his kerosene. Wish he could yell at me today, I would love to do something stupid for him to holler 'bout. Good ole days.

How much quieter is it?

I've got a silencer off one of my old dirt bikes knocking around the garage and since the muffler rotted out on the splitter I need to do something to get the decibels down.

It's quieter, not a lot but enough. It also gets the heat away from my legs. I wear radio headphones anyway due to the noisy elevator running. Now I have to get back to the bush and start cutting down trees again. I did a rough count on the logs and there was 125 logs 12' long and averaged about 12". Anyone wanna guess how many cords that would be? I don't stack my wood so I never know how much I have. Tomorrow I'll measure the cone and try to get a rough guess.

Don't want to hi-jack, but if I were to search craigslist for one of those hay elevators, would I search "hay elevator" or is there a different one that I should search?? I mean Ive flung trailer loads of hay onto a elevator at my buddies farm, I cant imagine that those two prongs every three feet is all thats needed to carry the wood way up there. Is it???

Matt, mine is actually a grain elevator and it works ok. I would rather have a hay elevator as the slats are farther apart and because they are designed for hay bales most of the fine crap falls off before it goes up the elevator. My grain elevator is designed to move small grains so everything is pretty tight and all the dirt, bark and crap goes up and drops onto the splits. I was at a sale today and the same one only longer went for $500. Too much for me and 90 miles is a long way to drag it home. I just wanted a spare one.
Google hay elevator or grain conveyor for samples. Farm auction sales are good spots to find them reasonable. Skeleton elevators also work but you need to put boards on them.

Latest posts

Back