Another wood id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I dropped a couple of small trees last May because they were in the middle of my shooting range. The leaves at the time looked like beech, because there is a beech just a few feet away that always has a good mast of nuts for the deer and squirrels, and I just assumed. I'm cutting it up now, and it doesn't look like beech to me, but my experience is in lumber and woodworking.
Details: two stems with shared rootball but not co-dom, soaking wet when felled, bucked yesterday (almost a year since felling) and heavy as ****, MM reads 40 - 45% on the piece shown (did I mention it's heavy), this piece split like it wasn't even there.
Thoughts?
P1010102.JPG P1010103.JPG P1010104.JPG

mulberry, by heartwood color & bark. Nice gloves- didja pinch a couple of mine? :rolleyes:

Never gave a thought to mulberry. I don't remember the leaves looking like beech, but I'll check my book. Thanks!
I'm a huge fan of the Atlas gloves for everything but concrete and masonry work. Brown jerseys for that **** at 50 cents a pair in bulk.

I dropped it a year ago, bucked it yesterday. Wet and heavy still. I'll split it this weekend. Thanks guys.

It looks like mulberry, but i'd always thought mulberry was supposed to be along the lines of sweetgum when it comes to.ease of splitting. I figure tomtrees knows what he's talking about. Maybe i'm either thinking of a mulberry variation or a willow look alike.

+1 on mulberry.
Wonderful high btu woodstove firewood.
Not a great choice for an open fire though with all the pops and sparks and tossed embers mulberry makes.

Mulberry trees tend to be cut one a 3 replace it, so that range will have 3 times as many in a few years.

No sprouts on either of the stumps, and it's been almost a year. I know the box elders will start sprouting before ya shut the saw off!
Is there a tree with wood and bark like a mullberry, but leaves like a beech?

Latest posts

Back