Ant Problem!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnaykeByte

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have several trees on my property, maple, ash, oak, and they are ALL being attacked by small red ants. I have owned the property for about twenty years and it has gotten worse in the last 2 or 3 years. They tunnel into the trees and turn them into sawdust. I have even removed some sticking up maple roots and found them full of these ants. Any of the experts on here have any advise before all of my trees are dead? Thank you in advance for any help.

The small red ants are feeding on the fecal matter of a piercing sucking insect. Discourage populations of the pest and the ants will leave for another food source. Even carpenter ants are harmless to trees. Its a very popular urban legend that ants cause tree mortality.

:popcorn:

On edit, my description may not have been accurate. The ants I have are not really red, they are about 1/4" long and are a very bright orange color, almost gold or yellow.

Yes, please post pictures. Generally even carpenter ants will only harvest dead, decayed wood. So I would be concerned about what else is going on there if you are seeing sawdust.

As Woodweasel said, small ants "farm" aphids and other smaller insects and generally are only topical not a source of injury to the tree itself.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back