Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stupid question. What is the bow saw advantage or was it for special uses?

The bow bars allowed tree trunks to be blocked up while standing more upright, less back strain involved and the bow bar seldom gets jammed in the cut by a stick closing on it due to the very narrow amount of guide in the wood, a regular bar is wider and gets jammed more easily.

The bow bars allowed tree trunks to be blocked up while standing more upright, less back strain involved and the bow bar seldom gets jammed in the cut by a stick closing on it due to the very narrow amount of guide in the wood, a regular bar is wider and gets jammed more easily.
Agreed, easier on the back! It is nice not to bend over. Can't wait to get one of my own!

Still needs some work eh? Thanks for the vid, sounds just like a Homelite XL 12.
Yeah il have it tuned for the cold soon. I put needles back to where they were when i pulled the carb. Il have a better vid soon. Thats not bad for many years of sitting. My dad never even had it running since he got it.

Oh yeah all those little pieces of wood. Well my wife suggested i cut those for her Facebook wedding stuff. People pay some good money for a rough cut cookies as center pieces for their wedding. The first day i cut those it pretty much paid more than my saw originally cost and the 3/4 gallon of fuel i burnt. Yeah i had some fun doing that.

I know that saws sitting around for long periods are not easy to get running right again. I just started up a Titan that was last run in 1947, totally dismantled it, cleaned everything, has a float carb and it was fugly, cleaned up nice. The old girl fired up on the second pull, runs sweet, idles forever, have to use thumb as a choke, these saws have no choke or shut off switch.

I know that saws sitting around for long periods are not easy to get running right again. I just started up a Titan that was last run in 1947, totally dismantled it, cleaned everything, has a float carb and it was fugly, cleaned up nice. The old girl fired up on the second pull, runs sweet, idles forever, have to use thumb as a choke, these saws have no choke or shut off switch.
You got a pic of the saw? Yeah when i empty the tank on the saw it was the old fuel that actually had a shelf life it burnt ok but smelled bad burning in a can

Oh yeah all those little pieces of wood. Well my wife suggested i cut those for her Facebook wedding stuff. People pay some good money for a rough cut cookies as center pieces for their wedding. The first day i cut those it pretty much paid more than my saw originally cost and the 3/4 gallon of fuel i burnt. Yeah i had some fun doing that.
Cookies make coals...they split easy, too.

I have seen those center pieces before. Man you lucked out your wife actually wanted you to spend a lot of time sawing AND you got paid and points!

Latest posts

Back