antivibe question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
after thinking about spring vs rubber mount for antivibe, I got to wondering, can springs wear out in the av system? I know rubber ones do, but have no idea if springs will or not.

Springs can lose their spring. After years of use and they don't spring back so good anymore.

Sure. I've seen them stretched, broken and rusted. However I'd say the spring failure rate is lower based on number of replacement needs.

I just fix them so I can't say which works better, except in cars and trucks springs ride smoother then rubber suspension. But, if you rode on steel tires it wouldn't matter how good the suspension was.

the steel tires comment is very true. of course, tires have rubber and air to help absorb some shock, the suspension does the rest, along with the seats.

I just wondered about spring antivibe cause I seldom hear of failures with springs compared to rubber.

how many rubber av mounts have you seen that actually wore out due to age? Every one I see is broken by a user trying to force a dull saw. Maybe it's the same thing.
-Ralph

good point ralph, I usually see more, broken like you said because of somoene who doesnt know the chain is dull, and the operator just keeps pushing it like you said. I've actually seen only a few instances of actually worn out AV mounts, but not many lately.

The rubber mounts deteriorate with gas and oil - front mounts go first (get soft and mushy). They also get harder with decreasing temperature. The Stihl Blowers have had springs since about 1994, and the difference to the earlier rubber mounts is marked.

The MS 361 has to be the best anti-vibe system on any Stihl saw. Big improvement over the rubber mount system. Try one....

begleytree said:
how many rubber av mounts have you seen that actually wore out due to age? Every one I see is broken by a user trying to force a dull saw. Maybe it's the same thing.
-Ralph
As collector I run over a few that has been too old.
The rubber dried up and cracked on some, others it turned in to some strange gum quality.
On the 140s for ex. I have seen many that is almost loose from the plate, due to all cracks.

Steel springs is better, but it will vibrate more, not big vibrations but small annoying vibes.

Mange said:
As collector I run over a few that has been too old.

Maybe if you stopped running over them they would hold up better :dizzy:.
Sorry, I could knot stop myself :rolleyes: .

The rubber ones on my old Jreds have overall held up pretty well. Maybe too well as they sometimes make reinstalling the handles a pita. The soft ones on my 011s & 009s near the fuel tank have turned to goo; worse thing is the fuel mix also turns the ignition wire to goo. I have no experience with AV springs.

Latest posts

Back