Any apple growers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took a few pics of my apples and trees. The pics of the trees demonstrate what chemical thinners can do for proper spacing of the apples on the trees.
Here is the Macintosh.
20tpatx.jpg

rsdki9.jpg

Honeycrisp:

312fpy9.jpg

Pretty good density on these:

1zyh352.jpg

2lkz40l.jpg

2cgh211.jpg

These could have been thinned more. They are Fireside.

123y7up.jpg

Those are some good looking apples. I would guess that very few people know what it takes to produce apples of that quality.

Have you ever had an problems with your HoneyCrip apples forming small brown spots on them once placed in a cooler?

Those are some good looking apples. I would guess that very few people know what it takes to produce apples of that quality.

Have you ever had an problems with your HoneyCrip apples forming small brown spots on them once placed in a cooler?

It sounds like what you are describing is bitter pit. Honeycrisp can have calcium deficiencies which lead to bitter pit. I use calcium nitrate fertilizer (sparingly) and add a 10% calcium solution to the normal spray mix to supplement calcium needs.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-009.htm

Looking good!!! From talking with hobby apple growers, very few know what thinning is.

My family had an apple orchard from 1925-2000. 16 acres and around 2500 trees. would produce around 5000-7000 bushel a year. Small compared to some orchards. I miss it almost everyday. I don't miss being tired everyday though.

We used to chemical thin the macs, Cortland and a few others. Everything else was done by hand. Time consuming but it was worth it at harvest time.

Looks like you have the scab under control.

Where in Wisconsin are you located. We had our farm east of Poynette. Hazard Orchard. Someone else has taken it over now.

Chris

It sounds like what you are describing is bitter pit. Honeycrisp can have calcium deficiencies which lead to bitter pit. I use calcium nitrate fertilizer (sparingly) and add a 10% calcium solution to the normal spray mix to supplement calcium needs.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/00-009.htm
We sprayed additional calcium as well and still had some issues.

Something that we discovered by accident was letting them sit in the bins for 3-5 hours after harvest and then putting them in the cooler. They kept much better.

HoneyCrisp was also the only variety we had this problem with.

We sprayed additional calcium as well and still had some issues.

Something that we discovered by accident was letting them sit in the bins for 3-5 hours after harvest and then putting them in the cooler. They kept much better.

HoneyCrisp was also the only variety we had this problem with.

I forgot one thing, I add a boron supplement too. Boron helps the tree move calcium through the tree better.

I have heard not cooling down the center of the bins fast enough can cause problems but I have no experience with that.

Looking good!!! From talking with hobby apple growers, very few know what thinning is.

My family had an apple orchard from 1925-2000. 16 acres and around 2500 trees. would produce around 5000-7000 bushel a year. Small compared to some orchards. I miss it almost everyday. I don't miss being tired everyday though.

We used to chemical thin the macs, Cortland and a few others. Everything else was done by hand. Time consuming but it was worth it at harvest time.

Looks like you have the scab under control.

Where in Wisconsin are you located. We had our farm east of Poynette. Hazard Orchard. Someone else has taken it over now.

Chris

I use Fruittone and Carbyrl, (liquid Sevin) for thinning.

You can't spray to much Captan and Ralleye for combating scab.

I an about 6 miles north of Lacrosse.

I forgot one thing, I add a boron supplement too. Boron helps the tree move calcium through the tree better.

I have heard not cooling down the center of the bins fast enough can cause problems but I have no experience with that.
Interesting. I left the orchard 3 years ago this last Sept. I miss it until a cold January rolls around and I think about all of those guys out there pruning away.

I always tell friends with apple trees that the tree will probably grow the same amount of mass of apples. Whether you have a 1000 small apples or 100 large apples. Which sell better or are easier to peel for pies.

I always tell friends with apple trees that the tree will probably grow the same amount of mass of apples. Whether you have a 1000 small apples or 100 large apples. Which sell better or are easier to peel for pies.

That pretty much sums it up.

The first time I used thinners, it was hard to spend $300 on the chemicals that are going to make the apples fall off. Now I wouldn't consider not using them.

Updated with pics of new tree. These are now 3 years old. I have made concrete weights to bend the branchs down to a more appropriate angle.

30iuzh2.jpg

5yrndk.jpg

t6v8rq.jpg

qnpki8.jpg

Did these set fruit this year?

Yup!

About half the 3 year old trees set fruit. All are looking great.

I am going up this morning to move the weights around. Next spray is Monday as they get it every 14 days.

Latest posts

Back