Any bulletproof newer Pro saws out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How RELIABLE have your newer saws been?

• GREAT - No issues - love my newer saw!

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Pretty DECENT - only 1 or 2 small issues, nothing major

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • SO SO - Considerable issue(s)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • NOT GOOD - LARGE issue(s)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • LOUSY - this new junk really sucks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If I leave it a year in a machine over here I would be lucky if the ,machine started.
What I forgot to add is that the beginning panic over here is also the reason why premixed fuel is being mainly used nowadays. Further the companies claim the premix to be less unhealthy than reagular gas, because all the potential carcinogenes are not inside. And NO ONE wants to die because of cancer! Although no one has ever released any data at my last check(about a year ago) on how many former forrest profesionals ever died of cancer related to inhaled fuel emited carcingenes...

Of course what I see as clear for starting after a year is that the machine is stored in a cool dark place under good conditions and not lying outside in the elements.

This husky has been especially unreliable. Stupid thing has 2 years production on it and then all the sudden it jumped out in front of a tree. What a POS!

ade409525da8750ab4aaf3f9f3a55dfd.jpg

Looks like the tree won.

It got a look at a REAL saw and committed suicide!!

LoveStihlQuality

there are no fallers in the area running what you call a REAL saw lol so how did it see a REAL saw? there one guy on crew that runs REAL saws but he was on a hill way around the corner. like a 10min helicopter ride away. could the REAL saw still do that from that distance? i'm stumped :dizzy: must be because this is a FAKE saw.

the poll results are interesting as all saws have problems eventually so the top answer is not realistic at all. the results would suggest that most here don't cut wood :D no issues= no wood cut

Just bought a new small saw, Makita EA4300 (Dolmar 421) sight unseen. Should arrive next week.
Heard so many good things about it and it's pretty low cost, so worth a flyer. Plus side, no electronic carb so I can fiddle and work on it more easily.

My 562 is still in the shop while the mechanics go back to school learning what a USB Port is using latest software to diagnose what happened to my saw :rolleyes: Getting to be like diagnosing a new car. :baba:

Just bought a new small saw, Makita EA4300 (Dolmar 421) sight unseen. Should arrive next week.
Heard so many good things about it and it's pretty low cost, so worth a flyer. Plus side, no electronic carb so I can fiddle and work on it more easily.

My 562 is still in the shop while the mechanics go back to school learning what a USB Port is using latest software to diagnose what happened to my saw :rolleyes: Getting to be like diagnosing a new car. :baba:

That's not good news (the 562). Last thing I remember was it was going well?? Did you get one with the EL48 carb?

That's not good news (the 562). Last thing I remember was it was going well?? Did you get one with the EL48 carb?
Mine is late 2013 build with el46 carb. It gradually developed trouble with hot starts - shop tells me it has scored piston :eek:. Extended warranty does not cover bad gas, which was their first claim. I think it has an air leak - decomp was carboned up and I am very careful with gas mix - never use anything other than e-free 91 octane in my mix . Waiting to see what the computer says.

Mine is late 2013 build with el46 carb. It gradually developed trouble with hot starts - shop tells me it has scored piston :eek:. Extended warranty does not cover bad gas, which was their first claim. I think it has an air leak - decomp was carboned up and I am very careful with gas mix - never use anything other than e-free 91 octane in my mix . Waiting to see what the computer says.

I hope they pressure & vac test it for you. If you remember the long thread about mine, also a late 2013 model, the P&C were scored on the very first run at the dealership while calibrating the carb as per the owner's manual directions!! The tech tore it down & did the tests & found air leaks through the de-comp & the intake boot!! After a new P&C & de-comp, it developed EL46itis, the dreaded bog & stall. Since the EL48 it has been trouble free & a joy to use. It's scheduled to fell a Walnut tomorrow. I sure hope they come through for you with what sounds like should be full warranty coverage!

ya that was my concern as well - Initially I think they just closed her up after peeking through the exhaust port and said bad gas - :cold: - I have since told them they need to do a pressure/vac test but I think they're slightly blinded by the almighty computer dongle thingy.

Glad to hear the EL48 is working out well - amazing yours had leaks so early. Must have been put together on a late Friday.

I'm hoping for a nice shiny el48 replacement saw.

This husky has been especially unreliable. Stupid thing has 2 years production on it and then all the sudden it jumped out in front of a tree. What a POS!

ade409525da8750ab4aaf3f9f3a55dfd.jpg
That complacent SOB! Stupid things. They hit rocks too.
Well f*k man! By the looks of it, that saw dosen't even clean it's own filter. That saw is either lazy or a procrastinator. Looks to slow to get out of the way.

Seriously friend I think you have a medical condition thats very similar to "cutters" (one that cuts themselves with razor blades or knives) This condition can be common in adolescents.
There is a misconception about this adiction/impulse. It actually creates a calming feeling from anxiety and inner pain through the brains release of endorphins.
What you have friend is called 'crushers'
Quite frankly, you stink at it.

More crush For your buck:
= max endorphins release
You have to use a very big tree with a conventional Undercut for max effect & release.
I realize it's an impulse but people don't cut themselves with plastic spoons either.

Getting back to topic..
IMHO I don't think the saws stand up any better than when I started. Maybe I'm just hard on things.

That complacent SOB! Stupid things. They hit rocks too.
Well f*k man! By the looks of it, that saw dosen't even clean it's own filter. That saw is either lazy or a procrastinator. Looks to slow to get out of the way.

Seriously friend I think you have a medical condition thats very similar to "cutters" (one that cuts themselves with razor blades or knives) This condition can be common in adolescents.
There is a misconception about this adiction/impulse. It actually creates a calming feeling from anxiety and inner pain through the brains release of endorphins.
What you have friend is called 'crushers'
Quite frankly, you stink at it.

More crush For your buck:
= max endorphins release
You have to use a very big tree with a conventional Undercut for max effect & release.
I realize it's an impulse but people don't cut themselves with plastic spoons either.

Getting back to topic..
IMHO I don't think the saws stand up any better than when I started. Maybe I'm just hard on things.

ya know what's funny bud. this is a good story. see the rusted to **** spark plug. we had the helicopter park on the barge landing overnight and everyone thought it would be safe. woke in the morning to a tide so high the heli pod was sunk lol couldn't even fly till the tide went down. that saw and 2 others were in the pod when it happened. it was flushed and running again but was a spare saw. 3 days later he crushed it at the heli pad LMAO!

My crews have been running a half dozen of Stihl's MS461 for about a year now. If we do some averaging and maths I get 3 tanks/day times 6/7 days per week times ~270 days (3/4) of a year. Which as an exact estimate (nice oxymoron, huh?) is 694.285714 tanks. Which rounds to 694 tanks through six saws in 9 months of use. Some have seen more, some have seen less. And they're still going on somewhere between 45/50-1 HP Ultra every damn day. They get standard seasonal maintenance. You know, tuning, fuel and air filters and spark plugs; plus daily maintenance like cleaning the air filters and cleaning the crap out from under the clutch cover.

How's that for a reliable saw? They're doing just as well as the 440s and 441s they replaced, and a much as it pains me fo say it, better than the 372s we tried.

562XP-I run 14 gallons tru the saw in 6 months with no problem.
2nd pool cold, first pool on hot engine. Never use the decompression. Never run out of gas.
The harder you use this saw the better is get.
If I ever have to buy another saw, that would be the 562XP

Latest posts

Back