Any EZ way to hook up remote throttle cable!!??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoakneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out an easy way to put a remote/cabled throttle on my mill. Tired of stretching the left arm and need to put the throttle on the mill handle. I have finally replaced my 7900 with an 088 on my 36" alaskan mill, later to be a 60" mill when I can afford a longer bar.

I have been eyeing the trash for an old weed eater spring trigger cable that I could somehow hook-up to the 088 handle. Is it better to unhook existing linkage and hook the new throttle cable right onto the carb or is there a way to attach a camera shutter type "squeezer" to mount on the existing throttle trigger???

I probably won't be using the 088 for anything besides the mill, unless some giant redwoods suddenly appear in ohio.:laugh:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Is it better to unhook existing linkage and hook the new throttle cable right onto the carb or is there a way to attach a camera shutter type "squeezer" to mount on the existing throttle trigger???

Here's how I did mine.
http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/87987-2.htm#post1369623

Tips about remote throttles.
1) try to leave the remote throttle on the powerhead - that way removing the powerhead from the mill doesn't require extra work in disconnecting cables etc. The best place I have found is the wrap handle - if the log can be lifted a little in most cases you can themill standing up.
103592d1247399040-lspics2-jpg

2) Leave the regular trigger connected - as soon as you disconnect it you'll find you need to use it for something.
3) Be careful about using levers that act directly onto the trigger as the saw vibe can cause them to wear away the trigger. I damaged the trigger on my 076 this way even though the lever was protected by rubber padding.
4) for obvious reasons, self returning or spring loaded cables are safer than cable ties or unsprung hand throttles. The system used by Will Mallof is an interesting and simple solution.

I am trying to figure out an easy way to put a remote/cabled throttle on my mill. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is how I built my remote to fit my Husky for my mini-mill. It could be used for any mill setup. Just another version.
jerry-

Remote throttle mounted on Husky saw.

attachment.php

Pretty simple design. Only takes two wing nuts to put it on the handle. It is insulated with a rubber material so there is no metal to plastic contact.

attachment.php

Here is what it looks like not attached to the saw handle.

attachment.php

Bolt position that holds the dust deflector while milling. The throttle handle is a brake handle from one of my son's old BMX bikes.

attachment.php

View of remote throttle mounted on the saw and mini-mill frame. Takes only a couple of minutes to mount on the saw handle.

attachment.php

Thanks 820wards!!! That is a neat set up. I guess you made the whole aluminum frame from scrap???

I have found some cool stuff at the junk-yard, just not sure how it is going to go together, brain keeps smokin':msp_mellow:

OH yeah, can I borrow that 350 GT for a couple days???

Last edited:
Thanks 820wards!!! That is a neat set up. I guess you made the whole aluminum frame from scrap???

The entire piece is hand made from aluminum except for the small piece made to hold the end of the cable. I like having it setup with it's own return spring.

I have found some cool stuff at the junk-yard, just not sure how it is going to go together, brain keeps smokin':msp_mellow:

Just keep it simple as possible.

So you saw my other toy. Sorry, I don't loan it out. In the 36 years my wife and I have been married, she has only driven it once and I was nervous wreck. When I leave my garage door open on the weekends, I get one or two people stopping and asking if it's for sale. When I tell them they can't afford it they leave.

jerry-

Here is another type of remote trigger I found on a CMS that was commerial made. Looks like it would be easy to make.

attachment.php

me was thinking,,forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:msp_thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

My Shelby is a 1966 GT-350H (Hertz) car. Originally it was Red w/gold stripes. When I bought it for $700.00 in 1971, it had be wrecked and it took me two years to put it back together. Someday I will put it back to it's original colors. Paint is still pretty good considering it was painted in 1973. I remember I had the chance to buy one of the original six 1966 convertible Shelbys for $1,500.00, but I had just finished putting this one together and I was getting ready to get married. Bumma....

jerry-

Brings back a lot of memories looking at those tail lights.... we used to street race and my one buddy had a '67 stang that would blow the doors off anything, I rode shotgun and kept the cooler secure...

One day we put a super high lift cam and new heads on her, started her up with the valve covers off, heard a bad noise, and noticed only the front 4 cylinders had valves that were moving, cam broke in half!!!

Well at least we gave the competition some time to win before we got that one back on track,

Those are some sweet machines!!!!

Brings back a lot of memories looking at those tail lights.... we used to street race and my one buddy had a '67 stang that would blow the doors off anything, I rode shotgun and kept the cooler secure...

** Did some of that type racing when I was younger. Then I got into SCCA/Trans Am racing for about 15 years. Built many BOSS 302 and stroker 338 motors for racing. Only time I ever had a cam break was when a motor lost a rod bolt on the last lap of a race. When the rod came up it took out the cam, we had a 45sec lead and still finished 2nd.

One day we put a super high lift cam and new heads on her, started her up with the valve covers off, heard a bad noise, and noticed only the front 4 cylinders had valves that were moving, cam broke in half!!!

** Sounds like some real backwoods engine building that went wrong bad!

Headed out milling Monday, have another oak tree closer to home to mill. A friend just bought an Alaskan mill and has a 41" bar on a Stihl 084 he has been dying to try out. I'm going to show how to set the tree up for milling.

I sold a 65 Ranchero to the kid across the street and have been helping him with replacing floor pans and making patch panels for the area behind the cab under the bed. It's looking good now. Next is to replace the driver side rear quarter panel.

jerry-

Back