Need advice on 385xp throttle cable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back I bought a number of non running husqvarnas (some intact and some carcasses) from a recently retired oregon faller. I finally got around to working on a well used 385xp. I gave it new rings put on the carb and got it running!! However, the throttle cable doesn't work properly. It seems like it's too long? I really don't quite understand the mechanism, even though I popped offf the handle side plates to look. I'm pretty darn dyslexic when it comes to understanding mechanical stuff. Seems like the trigger is supposed to bend and shorten the cable ? Hard to imagine that the cable stretched out that much? Any thoughts?IMG_3435.jpeg

David each end of the cable has to fit into a place that holds it. Like wise the outside cable has two places to secure it so that the inside cable slides inside. If you find all four anchor points (one is probably the carb linkage) you should be good to go and the cable will be the correct length. Can you look at one of the other saws if they are the same type? Mike

David each end of the cable has to fit into a place that holds it. Like wise the outside cable has two places to secure it so that the inside cable slides inside. If you find all four anchor points (one is probably the carb linkage) you should be good to go and the cable will be the correct length. Can you look at one of the other saws if they are the same type? Mike
I looked at another 385 I had, I could not tell the difference, except that one works fine. I might have to take apart the saw some more. The wire parts of the cable at the ends seem to be in their proper spots. Not so sure however about the cable sheath. The carb end is correct, but I can see what the trigger end is doing. BTW, I just ordered a new one for 6$ on eeebaaaay just in case

Looks like its not on the idle screw cos its caught on the high idle arm.
395 has the same setup & I wouldn't be surprised if the cable was slightly longer... previous owner may have replaced the cable with the wrong one.
Have you inspected the entire cable? They can wear through & that can cause the same issue
20240328_214929.jpg

Looks like its not on the idle screw cos its caught on the high idle arm.
395 has the same setup & I wouldn't be surprised if the cable was slightly longer... previous owner may have replaced the cable with the wrong one.
Have you inspected the entire cable? They can wear through & that can cause the same issue
View attachment 1165230
You are so right about the high idle cam! I didn't notice that. Thanks for the sharp eye and brain....

Latest posts

Back