Any one cut fire wood with a "vintage" saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah il blast the neighborhood out when I fire up the old homelite zip to cut some wood. That's cause I can't leave it alone for too long. Gotta blow the cob webs and ear drums out. Keeps em fresh

I have cut a lot of wood with a Pioneer P26 & bigger wood with a P50

Yes...I used to revive old saws for little money and give them to my friends and neighbors who needed them. The Pioneer P40 I gave away some time ago is still
going strong. Good saws...ton of torque.

Homelite Super 1050 on the mill. I bought a new Stihl 660 about 3 years ago and haven't used the 1050 much since. I started it up a couple weeks ago. Bout ripped my fingers off when it kicked back, put it away. Never understood why Homelite put compression releases on their small saws in the 70's and not on the 100 CC 1050, Joe.

The first saw I ever bought, I still have. A Lombard AP42. I think it's around a 70cc saw. Still runs, but I quit using it. It has zero safety features on it. I do a lot of work with the Tennessee Baptist Disaster Relief. They make you go thru some saw safety training, then show some blood, gut, and gore pictures of some guys that were not safe. One guy cut up the inside of his leg from the lower calf, all the way to the crotch. Cut his dong off. :eek: I went out and bought a new saw.
Maybe consider some Chaps?

So just curious does anyone use these old saws for firewood anymore?

I like looking on eBay at the old husky and Remingtons and homelites thinking how cool it would be to buy a big old saw. But is it practical? They are heavy probably vibrate like crazy.

This is not a real serious question I'm not going to buy an old saw anytime soon.
Husqvarna 2100, Dolmar 152, Stihl 028zooper, Stihl 090ave, Joneserds.70e Homelite xl12(blue), Mac 10, homelite 360, homelite 750

My Stihl 056 supers are still running and doing a great job. With many parts easily available they are not going to be retired any time soon. I have several saws just two years old however there are some Stihls from the 70's and 80's that are destined to be listed on Fleabay. The older saws are easy to work on and the safety features that the older saws do not have have not been a problem. The majority of my firewood cutting involves walking up to a log marking it and wack away at it. With any climbing and or limbing that is a whole different matter. Thanks

Husqvarna 2100, Dolmar 152, Stihl 028zooper, Stihl 090ave, Joneserds.70e Homelite xl12(blue), Mac 10, homelite 360, homelite 750

Homelite 360 was my first new saw. Great saw for its time. Came to a bad end. Ate the electrode from the sparkplug (found it welded to the piston top), beat the pee out of the piston top, didn't hurt the cylinder wall somehow. I repalced the piston buty it never ran good after that. That was the last of the professional model homeys - they went to the big box saws after that.

A friend used to use a Homelite Zip he got running again in shop class for a while for fun while out cutting wood. However, his BIL disassembled it for "repairs he thought it needed" and that was the end of that saw. I bought it and a parts hulk he had with it for parts but sold them to another member here a few years back.

Husky 61 (300th anniversary edition) , Poulan 4000, and Mac 610 Timberbear are my three oldest that run well. I've used them all at one time or another, but I think the 1978 Mac 610 Timberbear is the oldest of the three. It might be the heaviest also.

The Poulan 4000 might have the most grunt. It was made back when Poulan had some good saws to offer. I keep thinking it's going to drop dead but it never does. I always bring a Stihl along to back these old guys up, but the Stihl usually remains silent.

I run an old 028 super almost ever time I cut. Not sure how old it but I know it is probably about my age:)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I believe most of the 028 Supers would have been made from 1990 to 1998. Really good saws, I have three 028's on board and the oldest has no chain brake, just a nice big guard, and likely not a Super. It's called an 028 WB and runs flawlessly. I'd take it over an MS290 any day.

I believe most of the 028 Supers would have been made from 1990 to 1998. Really good saws, I have three 028's on board and the oldest has no chain brake, just a nice big guard, and likely not a Super. It's called an 028 WB and runs flawlessly. I'd take it over an MS290 any day.
Maybe not quite my age then;)

I choose it over my Makita 6421 most of the time
8a29bcbeb37dd66f8c91172c7ae5e29d.jpg

I think my 1978 Mac 610 TimberBear has you beat, but Eric's saws shown above are old as the hills. Two-man power saws always fascinate me.
Those two man saws would be interesting to run for sure

I think my 1978 Mac 610 TimberBear has you beat, but Eric's saws shown above are old as the hills. Two-man power saws always fascinate me.
IIRC those saws were from 1947, or thereabouts. They may have had at least 6 saws they were running, even one they used an outboard motor to get started.

Back