Any one herd of this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry inch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father in law got himself a Makita/ Dolmar dc460-18 it is a 3/8 .050 64 drive link chain he ran less than two tanks of gas through it and he ran out of tension travel? WTF I have been running a saw with similar chain for five years not even using half the adjustment. He called them and they said they don’t warranty the chain just the power head, he is telling me it’s not Oregon,or Carlton chain, Makita make their own?

Sorta kinda su&%s but chains do stretch. I'm not sure about Makitas but there is a lot of crappy chain out there any more. If thats low pro 3/8ths, I would just get a Woodmans Pro 30 LP from Baileys and my guess is the problem would be solved. You could take it to a shop and get a link removed, but if its crappy chain why bother.

30LP is great chain for smaller saws. It holds the edge really good, and its cheap. They probably have some sale going on now on premade 62 DL loops. It is a little rough in the cut, but it does throw the chips nicely.

No, Makita does not make cutting chain; only one chainsaw manufacturer on the planet does… Stihl.

Over the years I’ve had every brand of chain (every brand I’ve used), except Stihl brand, stretch to the point of no adjustment. My SOP was to knock a link out with hammer and punch… but, since sometime in the 80’s, I’ve purchased nothing but Stihl brand cutting chain. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying, for example, every Oregon brand chain stretched that much, but some did... so I’m of the opinion it was a quality control issue of some sort. And I must qualify this whole post with an important fact… I have not purchased a new, non-Stihl brand chain since sometime in the late 80’s. I keep several loops on hand (something well over a dozen); interestingly, I just hung my last non-Stihl chain on the “junk chain” nail this past fall… a full-chisel Oregon loop for my 20-inch bar that was losing cutters prematurely (referenced by remaining cutter size, not chain age).

I have to make sure there is no misunderstanding here… I cannot speak to the quality of any brand cutting chain manufactured today except Stihl brand (which is excellent) because I have not used any other brand manufactured in the past 25-years or so. At the same time, I have no intention of purchasing any other brand; Swiss-made cutting tools are some of the finest in the world, rivaled only by some German-made... I have no reason to believe Swiss-made cutting chain (Stihl) would not be included.

Maybe they made the chain a link or 2 too long to begin with and now its out of travel?

I have to agree with Whitey on this one. I bought a new 28" bar for my Jonny 920. It came with Oregon full chisel chain. I cut 5 cuts, had to stop and tighten it. 5 more, tighten again. That got old real fast.
I then bought a Stihl chain and put it on, problem solved! I never even got to sharpen the Oregon chain, and it is now in my use only in emergency pile. Or maybe I will use it when I cut stumps.

I run Stihl chain exclusively on all my saws now. They're good.

Ted

I've never had a chain outstretch the saw that it came with. But I do agree that Stihl chain is good stuff. Only problem with it is I could buy a Woodsman Pro chain for every saw I own for the same price the Stihl dealers around here would charge for 1 chain. Plus if you don't watch what your buying, these same dealers will go in the back and make you up a loop of Carlton and sell it to you for that same price.

I have no love for the Stihl dealers in my area.

I guess no one else had a problem like this here. Thanks for all your insightful opinions and knowledge.:msp_confused: And doesn’t Husqvarna make chain? Well any way, good day. any one want to buy a chainsaw :msp_biggrin:

Its very possible Dolmar/Makita is cutting corners and outfitting their non pro saws with Chinese made chains. Ran into a number of them last summer when a neighbor dropped by to have me sharpen a dozen chains he had, and they were pure junk. He admitted that he tightened the chains at least six or seven times in a day, and one was stretched far beyond what would stay on the bar. He said he got it at our local flea market for cheap, so he bought himself a good pile of em to cut down on how many times he had to stop by my shop.

Month or so later I happened to run across the guy at the flea market selling these chains, and there was no way of telling who the heck made the things by the lettering on the spools, all Chinese garble gook. Charged by the link, and a 20 inch chain ran you six bucks so i can see where folks might be tempted to have him make them a few loops. Problem was, they aint worth even six bucks.

Had some trouble in the 70's or 80's with chains stretching too much. Believe it was a combination my inexperience with chain tensioning , using oil other than bar oil and buying box store chain. Wouldn't waste my money on Chinese chain or chains from Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards to name a few . The Stihl RS and RM are my favorite.
Although I also use Windsor, Carlton, and Oregon chain.

Stretching Chain

Back in the early 1970's I had a Mc Cullough chain saw. I don't remember what brand the chain was and what replacement brand I would use . However at least once on each chain I'd have to take a link out (by hand - file, hammer and punch) because there was no more adjustment left. Been so long ago I can't remember if I'd take 2 links out and replace only one.

Needless to say it was a pain in the rear to run out of adjustment . I'ver never had that problem with any Stihl chain on any of my saws.

Nosmo

I think (correct me if I'm wrong), the 460 is the same chassis as the 510 and 5100. I've got the same setup on my 5100 and have worn out a few chains and never hit the end of the adjuster. I'm leaning toward some crappy chain, or the oiler not doing its job. Does the bar look burnt? If so, look to the oiler.

I'd throw out the "extra link" possibility, except I recently grabbed an 84DL Stihl chain and found when I got home that I had an 82DL chain. GRRR! Just goes to show stuff happens. Count drive links.

A pic of the chain might help ID it, my 5100 came with Oregon 72V out of the box, which isn't great chain, but it's useable.

He counted drive links everything was what it is supposed to be. I can’t put up a picture because I haven’t seen it. He called me to ask what I thought. And I figured this is the best wealth of knowledge I could think of. He is familiar with non-oiling chain saw he had a craftsman that thing had oiling issues from day one. Also he has told me there are no manufacture markings on the chain? He is familiar with Oregon and Carlton. Just thought maybe someone else had problems with Makita chain or if in the futer they do its not uncommon? or maybe a one time fluke?

Where are the Windsor, Carlton & Oregon chains made? I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in China also. Look around you. Chances are everything you own, or at least some component of it, made in the last 10-15 years has been made in China. Don't get me wrong, just because something is made in China does not mean it is a piece of crap. It is just a real shame that the good ole USA used to make EVERYTHING!!!!! And make it damn good. Now we make nothing. Or made in USA with "foreign" components. Pisses me off. Even my good old Red Wing Boots. Been wearing nothing but them for 30+ years, and now many of their styles....made in China! Still charging me $200 a pair though! Last month, bought me a pair of Chippewa's. Good boots...may have to stick with them. Hey, I am as much to blame as anyone, my Stihl, Dolmar & Porsche made in Germany, Yanmar & Echo-Kioritz; Japan. I ain't perfect. But my old Troy-bilts, Toro, Mohawk lift, Mighty Mac, Snap-on tools, Homelite etc....Made in USA!

Sorry...I REALLY got off topic, but needed to vent! :angrysoapbox:

Sounds like the best advice would be to throw a new quality chain on it. Oregon 72LGX will probably be easiest to find. To get Stihl chain, it'll have to be made to length at a dealer, the 64DL Dolmar/Makita length is an oddball size.

No markings at all on the chain screams Chinese cheapo chain.

Where are the Windsor, Carlton & Oregon chains made? I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in China also. Look around you. Chances are everything you own, or at least some component of it, made in the last 10-15 years has been made in China. Don't get me wrong, just because something is made in China does not mean it is a piece of crap. It is just a real shame that the good ole USA used to make EVERYTHING!!!!! And make it damn good. Now we make nothing. Or made in USA with "foreign" components. Pisses me off. Even my good old Red Wing Boots. Been wearing nothing but them for 30+ years, and now many of their styles....made in China! Still charging me $200 a pair though! Last month, bought me a pair of Chippewa's. Good boots...may have to stick with them. Hey, I am as much to blame as anyone, my Stihl, Dolmar & Porsche made in Germany, Yanmar & Echo-Kioritz; Japan. I ain't perfect. But my old Troy-bilts, Toro, Mohawk lift, Mighty Mac, Snap-on tools, Homelite etc....Made in USA!

Sorry...I REALLY got off topic, but needed to vent! :angrysoapbox:

Windsor, Carlton, Oregon chain is made in USA and chinese chain substandard. A little reading in the chainsaw forum is enlightening.

Sounds like the best advice would be to throw a new quality chain on it. Oregon 72LGX will probably be easiest to find. To get Stihl chain, it'll have to be made to length at a dealer, the 64DL Dolmar/Makita length is an oddball size.

No markings at all on the chain screams Chinese cheapo chain.

The 64 drive is odd compared to others, but my 510 has a so called 18" oregon sproket tip on it and it actually measures 17" so it takes 2 less drivers than a normal 18" (i was told it was because the tip was not replaceable on my bar is the reason it's 1" shorter) which is likely the case of his saw. Back to the topic it sounds to me the chain was 1 link to long to start with. Dolmar normally puts oregon chain on there factory set ups. But reguardless of the chain manufacture i have never seen a chain strech so much that the saw will run out of adjustment!

Back