Any opinions on HF flexshaft grinder for porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayIN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My dremel is too bulky to get in the cylinder and widen the ports.

I only have crappy home owner compressor - good enough for a nailer but too low CFM for grinders

I think the HF flex shaft is the same as the Grizzly model

For occasional use. They sell for $50 with the floor pedal, handpiece (jacob), and 1/3 HP 15,00RPM motor and shaft. Is this complete junk for porting? I have been using a dremel and have 1/8 inch bits, so I imagine this will be a step up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40432

The alternative is this pricier foredom wk 2274 with a 44T handpiece for $260
http://www.moldshoptools.com/catalog/list.php?category_id=107

Anybody use the HF flexshaft grinder?

Ray,

That is exactly what I use and I love it.
The handpiece is a little bulky and is somewhat limiting on the weedeaters and such, but they will make the best Dremel I've ever seen look pathetic.
The power along with the variable speed is fantastic.
(You can use the foot pedal with your el cheapo electric one speed die grinder and your one speed electric drill too!!!)
Undoubtedly the "bang for the buck" leader unless someone gives you a Foredom.

Mike

The HF flexshaft in my opinion is junk. I have 2 dremels in my shop. One with a flex shaft and the other mounted in the dremel drill press. I also have the Foredom SR flex shaft. With a bunch of attachments. The Foredom is sweet! I primarily use these for making jewelry but am about to Work on an 038 jug. The dremel flex shaft will really increase its versatility and does not cost very much. ..Good luck.......Bob

The HF flexshaft in my opinion is junk. I have 2 dremels in my shop. One with a flex shaft and the other mounted in the dremel drill press. I also have the Foredom SR flex shaft. With a bunch of attachments. The Foredom is sweet! I primarily use these for making jewelry but am about to Work on an 038 jug. The dremel flex shaft will really increase its versatility and does not cost very much. ..Good luck.......Bob

Have you used one a lot???
How long did yours last?
What are its shortcomings, other than being made in China and sold by HF?

Mike

Have you used one a lot???
How long did yours last?
What are its shortcomings, other than being made in China and sold by HF?

Mike

It's shortcomings are that its not a dremal and he has two of them.

I have to say that I was impressed with yours when we used it that day.

Probably hard to beat for the money. At least for the hobby use most here would give one.

I still plan on picking one up for myself soon.

Had the Foredom flex-shaft for years and will say there worth the cost.

HF tools are hit and miss, some are worth their cost, others are pure junk.

Wondered if I needed a porta-band saw, picked up a HF for $70 and used the daylights out of it. Top bearing is about to fall apart, always been extremely noisy. Got my $70 out of and then some, but will replace it with the +4X's more expensive Milwaukee version.

Mentioning the story because I would not have tossed a $300 dollar tool on the truck to see if I liked it, HF has it's place.

Had the Foredom flex-shaft for years and will say there worth the cost.

HF tools are hit and miss, some are worth their cost, others are pure junk.

Wondered if I needed a porta-band saw, picked up a HF for $70 and used the daylights out of it. Top bearing is about to fall apart, always been extremely noisy. Got my $70 out of and then some, but will replace it with the +4X's more expensive Milwaukee version.

Mentioning the story because I would not have tossed a $300 dollar tool on the truck to see if I liked it, HF has it's place.

Your right in your assesment, some stuff aint too bad, some not so good.

The original poster asked about the thing for occasional use. Hard to argue for that $ in question.

Look around before you plunk down the coin for that Milwaukee bandsaw. I have one and while its very good, its also very heavy. Really heavy compared to some other quality ones.

Can the shaft and bearings be lubricated (serviced) on the HF?
I only ask 'cause I went through the box at the store and didn't see lube supplied.

That looks like a pretty nice ginder for the money!
The foot pedal would be nice!

Your right in your assesment, some stuff aint too bad, some not so good.

The original poster asked about the thing for occasional use. Hard to argue for that $ in question.

Look around before you plunk down the coin for that Milwaukee bandsaw. I have one and while its very good, its also very heavy. Really heavy compared to some other quality ones.

Got the weight thing figured out, thought I gad a better picture then this, but you can see the top wheel as it is mounted on the rear door of my service van. (just above Danella's head)

attachment.php

It can weight all it wants hanging there! But thanks, I will be looking at all of them when it's time. It seem's that I will stick with something that runs 44 7/8th inch blades as they seem to be the most common, not sure I would have bought the HF saw if the blades would have been different, good chance of being stuck with unused ones!

It is truly just a $70 dollar tool, sure did cut a lot of heels off of horse shoes for $70 bucks, but I would not want to leave home with out an other way of doing something your counting on an HF tool to do!

Last edited:
now on sale - $45

picked it up just now as it was 5 bucks off. Haven't cut anything, but did plug it in and run the motor. It doesn't sound as high revving - with the pedel pressed all of the way down - as my little hand dremel. rated at 15,000 RPM.
Do I lube the shaft with grease or 30W oil?
THanks

I used 1 for about 3 months until I replaced with the Foredom. When I first started using it sounded wierd like the interior was grinding away. Used up the brushes in about a month. It was still running though when I gave it away (replaced brushes. On the plus side it had a pretty nice knock-off of the Foredom handpiece with a Jacobs style chuck that fit all of the Dremel and Foredom bits. I guess if you didn't need to use it a lot it might be OK. But I would not reccomend it. If cost is the main consideration For 12-15 bucks you can get the Dremel flex-shaft att. on Ebay. If you want/need a quality flex-shaft that will see a lot of use the Foredom SR is the way to go.................Bob

The shaft should be greased with a long fiber grease. Foredom reccomends every 100 hours. The shafts do wear out eventually.

Last edited:
15,000rpm sounds pretty low.
You would have some chattering with certain bits in certain applications.
The Dremel runs at 30,000rpm.
What does the Foredom run at?

That's a good question,
There's a few differend motors, but from what I've read it weems to be 18,00 RPM on the foredom.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

That grinder might be worth looking into. However, I'm still using the same shaft mount Dremel I started with. It still works great. It is one of the stronger Dremels though. I'd love to have a Foredom, but my Dremel won't die, lol.

Back