Any pictures of side-by-side ms261c-m and ms462c-m (or ms 362c-m)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried searching the forum and elsewhere quite a bit - does anyone have a picture of a 261 side by side with a 462? Or if not, a 261 next to a 362?

Or maybe the best of all, a 261, 362, and 462 all in a row? :D

c13395c628375c5a07e09af740281e15.jpg

36b03a8e117965a7c56b12998d558592.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I am leaning toward, I was trying to get a sense of how big the 462 truly was as the local dealers do not have any in stock. Thank you.

This thread is just what I needed. I use the husky powerboxes. Am about to buy a 462 and wanting to know if it will fit in one. If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

This thread is just what I needed. I use the husky powerboxes. Am about to buy a 462 and wanting to know if it will fit in one. If anyone knows I would appreciate the info.

Mine does, but I had to cut a tiny bit of the liner out for my larger dogs.

I stopped at a different dealer today and they had a 461 but not a 462. I was surprised at how large the 461 seemed in person. I see on the specs it’s heavier than the 462. Is it significantly larger in form factor than the 462?

Managed to find a 462 in person with a 25" bar on it - definitely a big saw - I am going to try to see if I can find one to hold with the optional light bar in 20", as I think that's what's shown on the stihl site
https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms462cm/
It is a large saw compared to some, but it's the smallest lightest saw in it's displacement & power class & one of my all time favorites, after my 661.
The 661 is much larger & heavier.
the 461 feels much bigger & heavier than the 462, but I'm not certain the exact dimensional differences.
The 462 with a 25" Es light bar doesn't feel or handle any larger or heavier than my Stihl 291 does with a 20" regular bar, and I personally consider the 291 to be a pretty small saw.
The 462 is a fast cutter & in my experience most people find it surprising how much power it has stock:)

I'm a skinnier guy, and the 462 is my go to saw. I only use my 261 if the stuff is pretty small. A buddy of mine has an early 362 (heavier than the 2nd gen). He used my 462 once, and didn't want to give it back. Said he thought it was lighter. It isn't, but almost the same.

Have a dealer put a basic 20" Stihl E bar (not ES) on and see how it handles in the shop. Most won't have an E light, which is an insignificant amount lighter than an E bar...few ounces is all.

John, my grandparents had a camp on Michigamme for 40 years, near Brown's Bay. Best times of my childhood were on that lake. Beautiful area.

I am nearly certain the 25" es light is within a couple ounces of the standard 20" on my 291, but yes, shorter than 25" I don't notice much difference between the light and regular bars unless I put them on a top handle in tree.
A 36" light vs. regular on the other hand, after a full day of use its night and day the fatigue level when falling, especially on a 90+cc powerhead.

Most of the guys I have help me who use my 462 are on the lighter end of the muscle spectrum & it's by far the most desired saw... I have had to settle arguments regularly because they all want the 462.
even with solid running husky 372's, a 7900, MS 460's, 660's (& many others.) I may end up with another or 2 just because they like it so much, and happy guys are productive guys:)
I'm a skinnier guy, and the 462 is my go to saw. I only use my 261 if the stuff is pretty small. A buddy of mine has an early 362 (heavier than the 2nd gen). He used my 462 once, and didn't want to give it back. Said he thought it was lighter. It isn't, but almost the same.

Have a dealer put a basic 20" Stihl E bar (not ES) on and see how it handles in the shop. Most won't have an E light, which is an insignificant amount lighter than an E bar...few ounces is all.

John, my grandparents had a camp on Michigamme for 40 years, near Brown's Bay. Best times of my childhood were on that lake. Beautiful area.

Stihl 20" Rollomatic E bar 2lbs 5oz
Stihl 20" Rollomatic ES bar 2lbs 13oz
Stihl 20" Rollomatic ES Light bar 2lbs 2oz
Stihl 25" Rollomatic ES bar 3lbs 10oz
Stihl 25" Rollomatic ES light bar 2lbs 10oz
All bars are 3/8 .050

Some of the above numbers are from my measurements, and some are from others, so I cant guarantee 100% accuracy. IMO, running an expensive "light" bar at 20" is essentially pointless...with that said, I own a light weight 20" just because the E bar is boring.

Latest posts

Back