Any tips for getting a stuck piston out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it! Pack the top hole with black powder. Dig a little hole in the ground. Place the cylinder in it with the big hole facing up. Run a short fuse. (You don't even have to plug the small hole this time). Light her off and go look for the piston. The cylinder may or may not be complete but some of it will still be in the hole. PS.... this is a piston extraction method and not anything else.

stuck piston

A quick way to pressurize the cylinder to 150 or 175 lbs (depending on your air comrpessor) is to cover the piston crown with oil and screw in the hose from a compression tester (with the schraeder valve removed -- it is same as the valve in a tire), then connect the other end to your air hose. Put it into a cardboard box or something to catch any flying parts without damaging them. The grease zerk bit will let you put thousands of pounds of pressure into the cylinder. Have it prefilled with oil so the final clean-up is easier.

Knock the center out of a sparkplug,tap the inside of the sparkplug. Fill the cylinder with kroil,pb blaster or oil. Screw the sparkplug into the cylinder,then thread a bolt into the taped sparkplug.Screw the bolt in untill it hits the piston and snug it abit. Come back the next day and slightly tighten the bolt more. keep doing this untill the piston breaks free.

Steve

I did a search and did'nt come up with anything. I've got a cylinder that has a stuck piston in it (siezure). It's been soaking in penetrating oil for about 2 weeks and still won't budge, and, due to the angle of the plug hole I can't get in there with a punch to try to tap it out. Anybody have any tips or ideas?

I will tell you what works well for me but because I type slowly with one finger someone may beat me to it. I use a type of industrial carb cleaner and remove the spark plug and pour in as much as it will take, then screw in an air hold fitting, hook an air hose to it and with the air line regulated down to a couple pounds air pressure let it sit over night. If the piston is just stuck from condensation forming and causing rust it should break free in a day or so. Refill the top of the cylinder a couple of times if necessary. If the piston is completely rusted or seized so bad that no amount of soaking will free it up you can cut the top of the cylinder off as it would be no good to reuse anyway and tap the piston out while supporting the crankcase up in the air by some form of blocking that is attached to the old cylinder, ie, the flats of angle iron inserted between the fins on the cylinder sides. This allows the crankcase to drop as the piston is struck and does not hurt the crank but remember to remove the cylinder bolts or nuts first. Works for me. Pioneerguy600

A hand held grease gun will produce 10,000 psi, grease not only tensions mini excavator tracks, it tensions ALL tracks on Caterpillar dozers, up to and including D-11n's.

Latest posts

Back