anybody grow lima beans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew some last year and plan on growing more this year. We call 'em butterbeans.

That's cause they taste best when you cook 'em in butter. Melt some butter in a pan, and saute the beans a bit before you add water. Be careful not to get the butter too hot, and don't add too much water, just enough to cook them. That helps seal the flavor in. And if you want it even better, get some fresh corn, cut it off the cob, and add that in with 'em and make succotash.

As you know I love succotash, That is why I grow so much sweet corn. and ( butter beans ) also need some maters! and some AKA pole beans!

A Lima Legacy:

I hadn't planned on it yesterday... but while working in my garden... heard neighbor was putting in his bean patch... so close to day's end... had a small spot. decided I would get in an early bean patch, too. Blue Lake Bush! 30 seeds or so... but, while got some beans in it is about lima beans than prompts this post. keep all my seeds in 2nd refer. had an old baggie of lima beans in seed section of refer. so since old decided to toss em out into garden and see if any would sprout. here is a 'blip' or two of that. then... happenstance as it is, noted I also had a pckt of Fordhook Limas... had been hidden as same color pkt as the beans... so, since old, too... put 6 into soil near others to see what 'pops' up...

will any pop up?

lbns.png

then as I do with my beans... I coved them with some grass clippings, really works well... they never get too deep.

lbns1.png

and put out some Fordhooks, too. I am really just looking for one or two good starts... but now that I think about it... do have a backyard location was not sure what I mite put in it this spring season... so guess some of the extra lima plants, given the seeds take... could go there.

I think lima beans in can - so so
I think lima beans frozen - so so
but I think garden fresh limas excellent! very tasty, very good. I really do like them. they grow on a large bush-type plant. at least the ones I had grown in the past, but not sure what strain... kinda think Fordhook.

'stay tuned'....

P3060052.JPG

Wow, Taters growing already!, Must be nice weather down there.

not today! stormy, rainy and wet!!! but garden likes it... side dressed everybody with some triple 13... and for the spuds and radishes... turnips... some 7-20-0 as well... :) but overall, spring is as they say it... "in the air!' just not today. lol but plenty of raindrops... as in... raindrops keep fallin'....

Looks good, guys. You have now convinced me to plant some lima beans.

I'll be getting the onion sets in tomorrow afternoon. It's been raining here lately, so I'll probably wait to get the potatoes planted. In a week or so.

Early next month, I'll be putting in an asparagus patch (25 starts), and a row of red raspberries (8 plants). I still have to prep the beds/sections for each of those.

A Lima Bean Legacy: seeding and set planting update

today I noted that quite a few if not almost all of the 25+ year old lima bean seeds had sprouted... and were showing a strong beginning. nice lil plants!! :) I planted 6 Fordhooks but only 4 came up. thot they would have done better. could have put in some more FH seeds, but what the heck 4 plants is enuff for me, considering the browns have exploded. here is what they looked like today, and then I uprooted and repotted... for transplanting and just the fun of it. :)

brown lima seeds from plants I grew over 25 yrs ago! really! been in refer all this time... ;) you can see the true leaves bulging out of these dicotyledens...

P3130003.JPG

the Fordhook clan...
P3130004.JPG

another view of the brown seed group
P3130005.JPG

next thing I did after giving the tender starts some water to hydrate them well, was uproot them to my nursery area... for transplanting into potted sets. I could have just moved them to garden directly, but kinda fun to pot them up. besides areas for them in garden not prepped just yet... these 'beans' are quite hardy...

P3130014.JPG

these suckers are sporting some serious root development. I had keep the 'plot' well hydrated... to help them get a good start. seems they took the push... :yes:
man! just look at these early lima bean roots!!! beautiful, full healthy start. seeds at least 10 yrs old!! ;) this one below is a Fordhook lima bean~
P3130013.JPG

I kept a water sprayer handy to keep start's young tender 'susceptible to drying' roots wet. pre-wetted their soils in pots and after potting, too. made up a mixture of some Miracle Grow solution, too. if these were smaller starts I would have used water only, 0-0-0 but I think a bit more extra wetting of 24-8-16 cannot hurt... to help with early root system development... these seedling starts are in great condition and shape!! I also have some soluable 10-52-10 which I will make some solution of one all the first leaves are spread out and main stem growing well... to further build root system up. they will probably get a bit rootbound before I transplant them, but I am not to concerned... will open roots when transplanting... some seedlings were planted single other pots 2 or 3 to pot. some seeds not growing put back into garden area, 4 into pot just for fun of it and to watch as I water others... I expect about 24-30 sets overall at transplanting time. more than I need....

about fertilizers:
if you ever had a problem with, and many do, remembering the # for fertz, here is simple way never to forget...

it is N, P, K. Nitrogen, Phosphate and Potassium.

Nitrogen (N), Phosphate (P) and Potassium (K).

so first part is too simple, it is always N! always N! Nitrogen. 2nd part can be hard to remember, but not if last is easy. so remember last is Potassium... Pot - a.ss - ium. and what is the last part of ur body thru the doorway... why your a**, of course. ;) so in NPK potassium is last. that means phosphate is 2nd. :) simple, huh... a reference if needed:

http://www.ncagr.gov/cyber/kidswrld/plant/label.htm

so back to the Lima Bean Legacy....
I gathered up some potting type soil, some pots, and some bigger pots, too. some tools and a cold beer also... ;) :givebeer: and started filling some start pots about 1/2 full...

blueish sprayer is the liquid Miracle Grow, 24-8-16

P3130015.JPG

smaller pots for single plantings with potting soil/mulch in them...
P3130016.JPG

multiple plantings planned for larger pots
P3130017.JPG

as mentioned beans, these lima beans are dicotyleden seeds which means it is a seed with 2 embryonic leaves or cotyledons... lima beans are one example of over 200,000 types of this seed classification. the other is monocotyledons... each has a root development system unique to its type. my seedling starts are quite healthy at this stage and the emerging cotyledons (true leaves) can be seen on many of them as the seed splits to let developing leaves get warm air and sunlight... for photosynthesis to take place. whereby plant converts sunlight energy into proteins to fuel its grow, development and needs along with nutrients from its root sys capacities, too. here are some close up of my lima bean seedling's true leaves or cotyledons...

I worked on this project for bit over an hour today. i noted from time i got seedling to nursery area and planted the one in bottom 2 pix had actually grown before my eyes... :surprised3: and was about 20-25% larger and more of its leaf outside the seed sides... beans grow fast!

P3130018.JPG

lima bean's true leaves emerging....
P3130019.JPG

P3130020.JPG

[to be con't...]

Latest posts

Back