Anybody have a Solo 652?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_in_WI

Master rocket surgeon
Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on a new Solo 652-18. It appears to me that it is a variant of the Dolmar PS-510. Does anybody own one or have some info on them?

TIA

260151-5d256d342-sales-solo-652-18-best-black-friday-deals-jpg

View attachment 260151

Last edited:
I don't have personal experience with either saw. But I'm sorry you are mistaken. The Solo and Dolmar are two totally different saws. The Dolmar has an aluminium body and is an older design, the Solo is supposed to be a clam shell design. The Solo is the newest semipro model and has had very good reviews in german threads.

It would be nice, when you get it, if you could do a review here for the AS comunity.

The Solo 652 is not a clamshell per se. It has a small vertically split metal case around the crank, upon which the cylinder bolts on. This small case then bolts into a chassis similiar to a clamshell design. Hoever, It's much more desireable to have a bolt on cylinder like the 652.

So I ordered a 652-18 and was sent a 643IP-18. Time to find out how good the customer service dept is.

I suspected something like this might happen, getting a 652-18 for $320.10 shipped to me seemed like a pretty screaming deal.

So I ordered a 652-18 and was sent a 643IP-18. Time to find out how good the customer service dept is.

I suspected something like this might happen, getting a 652-18 for $320.10 shipped to me seemed like a pretty screaming deal.

I believe their service dept is in Newport News, VA, not too far from me. Let me know if I can help ya with something. I've never been there, but I have a 680, so it wouldn't hurt me to check it out.

I believe their service dept is in Newport News, VA, not too far from me. Let me know if I can help ya with something. I've never been there, but I have a 680, so it wouldn't hurt me to check it out.

I bought the saw from an outfit named Tool District through the Newegg Marketplace. On Newegg the listing was for the 652-18 and the specs were correct for that saw, but the Tool District website only showed the 636-16 and the 643IP-18.

Tool District lists the 643IP-16 for $329.99, the Newegg price on the 652-18 was $311.37. I was hoping that maybe I was getting a closeout deal or something and took a chance.

Now I find out how good Tool District customer service is. Newegg will give me a full refund if Tool District tries to jerk me around.

"Extremely robust magnesium crankcase embedded in the main plastic casing."

mastermoob-s-miscreant-menagerie-picture302082.png

It's kind of like a cross between a split case and a clamshell. I bet engine swaps would be a snap.

I found a new one on Feebay at a pretty good price, now I just need to get off my butt and send to Mastermind, so he can work his magic.

Back