anybody have preference for a 16 gpm hydraulic pump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htpd43

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i spent about 4 hours going through some old posts but haven't been able to find any specific comments/reviews about a few pumps that i am looking at. i just replaced the engine on my log splitter and want to replace the 16 gpm pump. i have narrowed my choice to the barnes/haldex, fluid dynamics, mte and dalton 16 gpm 2 stage pumps - if it makes a difference i will be coupling this to a 9 hp robin subaru. anybody have a preference or think one of these is better than the other? one difference i found so far is that the fluid dynamics pump doesn't switch to the hi mode until 900 lbs (adjustable) where others switched at 650. didn't see any other major differences.

Of the different brands of 2-stage pumps on the market, Haldex/Barnes is the most common brand used by the majority of splitter manufacturers with MTE being the next most used.

I have not seen any comparisons between the brands, but I have found that the Haldex/Barnes pumps are used on most high end splitters .The MTE pumps are usually found on the less expensive splitters. This is not meant to say that one is better than the other. I have used both and found no noticeable difference except for price.

hey triptester
it seems like the haldex/barnes is pretty popular but can be quite a bit more expensive. i was leaning towards the fluid dynamics model because the first stage is adjustable from 400-900 psi and i can get it for 135 n change from surplus center. otherwise they do all seem the same. i wonder if anybody out there has used the fluid dynamics pump??

I have not been able to find accurate info on the Fluid dymanics pump but they seem to be a clone of the Haldex/Barnes pumps.

The Haldex pumps are also adjustable but both may require additional horse power at higher pressures to prevent stalling.

I put a haldex 16 on a splitter i built (ebay $85.00 new).
Couldn't keep my Kohler 8 hp rpm's down.
I ended up with a harbor freight 11 hp seems good so far,300 hours later.
I have a splitter,Subaru 9 hp with a 11 GPM haldex also seems to be a good match.
Just a thought for ya.(to mount the pump) Harbor Freight has a mount that bolts right up to a haldex to Subaru/Kohler (love joy between). It was $16.00 shipped, cast and ready to roll.(Find their log splitter),(download the manual it's there at the bottom in parts).A no brainer to do!
Mark

Last edited:
pumps

thanks guys
'preciate the info and qweesdraw thanks for the hf parts info and your suggestion on the 11 gpm pump set up. you haven't had any problems with the bracket/mount? i am kinda leary about buying some things from hf.
you think the 9 hp is too weak for the 16 gpm pump?
every manuf. i looked at says 8hp is min for a 16 gpm - i thought i was safe with the 9hp.
lou

You should be ok with 9HP Robin on a 16 gpm.If it kills it,then the reliefs are set too high on the splitter valve.

The mount is on their log splitter with a Subie 9hp to a haldex 11 gpm.
I have.over 500 hours on mine (HF).
I have split dry lucust 16" crotches with it and damn if the wood don't hit me in the stones about 1/2 the time.(learned to move away!!!!!)The spool valve crapped out in 5 days,
(they warrantyeed it)lasted anotheryear and crapped the bed.Prince (USA)was replaced on that ($100 @ the farm store).
On my homemade splitter another 300 hours on the mount,not a problem.
I also used their 30 ton clyinder on my made one $149.00 as i recall.(no problems their also)
If your not in a hurry,go to their website-coupons online sign on! 20% off
will soon be coming.Also sighn-up for Mail stuff you will get 15% coupons.
(patience is a virtue)! about a month.
If you shop them online vs the store see who has the best price and if it's in stock in the store! (they are diffrent) CALL.
If the price is less online and the store has it for more,PRINT IT they will honor it.
See what (HF)county has the least sales tax on a large item!

Sorry to rant but anyone that anyone that reads this will save $ from the
(HF) folks.
I agree that some of the stuff is (weefooyoo).
11 hp chinky electric start is a honda clone , I bought the warranty!
$20
so I found on sale loaclly/coupon,waranty $250
turn the key and starts.
Your 9 hp Subie Is the best motor made...!
As far as wedge Northerntools.com
A FEW OF MY TRICkS.
Mark

mark
thanks for the good info on the hf stuff. ive bought a few things off their site but nothing that i needed to rely on. its good to know that some of their stuff holds up. i just might by the bracket from them after all.
lou

Latest posts

Back