Valve Recommendation for Firewood Processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Chaplin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I built a really nice splitter a few years back with a 22 gpm 2 stage pump and a Prince auto cycle valve.

My next build is going to be a firewood processor with a hydraulic chainsaw.

The question I have is that the Prince auto cycle valve I use on my splitter is only rated for 25 gpm but I’d really like to step up to the 28 gpm 2 stage pump.

if you factor in efficiency of 85% that I’ve seen in most of my research that makes the pump more like 23.8 gpm. Do you think that would be ok with the Prince auto cycle valve? This is the valve and pump from Surplus Center: Prince Auto Cycle Log Splitter Valve w/Power Beyond RD523MMEE5A4C1 and 28 GPM Dynamic 2-Stage Pump GP-CBN-280-P-C

Is there a different type of valve that would do similar work? I don’t necessarily need it to auto cycle but it sure is nice. I just don’t want to stand there and hold the handle for the stroke both directions. If there is one that you could pull and it would go to neutral at the end of the stroke and the same for the other direction that would work for me to. I just don’t know what the name would be for one like that.
Appreciate any help. This forum is full of great info!

I built a really nice splitter a few years back with a 22 gpm 2 stage pump and a Prince auto cycle valve.

My next build is going to be a firewood processor with a hydraulic chainsaw.

The question I have is that the Prince auto cycle valve I use on my splitter is only rated for 25 gpm but I’d really like to step up to the 28 gpm 2 stage pump.

if you factor in efficiency of 85% that I’ve seen in most of my research that makes the pump more like 23.8 gpm. Do you think that would be ok with the Prince auto cycle valve? This is the valve and pump from Surplus Center: Prince Auto Cycle Log Splitter Valve w/Power Beyond RD523MMEE5A4C1 and 28 GPM Dynamic 2-Stage Pump GP-CBN-280-P-C

Is there a different type of valve that would do similar work? I don’t necessarily need it to auto cycle but it sure is nice. I just don’t want to stand there and hold the handle for the stroke both directions. If there is one that you could pull and it would go to neutral at the end of the stroke and the same for the other direction that would work for me to. I just don’t know what the name would be for one like that.
Appreciate any help. This forum is full of great info!
There used to be a guy that worked there ?Ryan? ?Riley? He always Had a good answer for me.. I won't say that I always understood his answers but he really helped me a lot.. He enjoyed wood splitter topics. The crew there are all helpful (used to be anyway) and will do their best, just realize if they are swamped they don't have the time Since this covid crap hit they have closed the will call counter and showroom so the counter help may not exist now.. Been a while since I needed answers. Can't hurt to call and let them earn their sale to get return (Satisfied) customers

There used to be a guy that worked there ?Ryan? ?Riley? He always Had a good answer for me.. I won't say that I always understood his answers but he really helped me a lot.. He enjoyed wood splitter topics. The crew there are all helpful (used to be anyway) and will do their best, just realize if they are swamped they don't have the time Since this covid crap hit they have closed the will call counter and showroom so the counter help may not exist now.. Been a while since I needed answers. Can't hurt to call and let them earn their sale to get return (Satisfied) customers
Completely agree. I’m in the military and I’m over in Germany for the next several months otherwise I’d reach out to them. I did send an email. Bought all the hydraulics for my last build from them and was super impressed how fast they had it packaged and shipped

I'm no expert but I would be willing to bet that the 25gpm valve will be just fine with the 28gpm pump. You have to factor in hoses, elbows, ports and etc. I'm sure it's not moving 28 gpm
Also consider is the difference between 22 and 28 that big of a jump to make it worth while.

Riley is gone and pretty much all the counter staff a Surplus Center changed when the show room was closed with COIVD. I have run the auto cycle valves on two spliiter's and one processor with the 28 GPM two stage pumps and they have worked well. I not completely sure the valve is worth the money as you do have to adjust them to kept them working. Sometimes I think just a valve with a detent return is the way to go.

Completely agree. I’m in the military and I’m over in Germany for the next several months otherwise I’d reach out to them. I did send an email. Bought all the hydraulics for my last build from them and was super impressed how fast they had it packaged and shipped
Thank you for your service. Capt. B. Bart

Back