Anybody here with experience with HF timberjack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aandabooks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking for a timberjack. Got $50 for a birthday present from mom and decided that a timberjack was needed. I've been looking at the Northern Tools one for $42.00 + ship. Well I just found one at Harbor Freight and there is a store 30 miles from me. Looks the same as the Northern Tools one with a thick hickory handle. Anyone here with personal experience with this timberjack and a recommendation either for or against?

Here's a link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94575

I'm looking for a timberjack. Got $50 for a birthday present from mom and decided that a timberjack was needed. I've been looking at the Northern Tools one for $42.00 + ship. Well I just found one at Harbor Freight and there is a store 30 miles from me. Looks the same as the Northern Tools one with a thick hickory handle. Anyone here with personal experience with this timberjack and a recommendation either for or against?

Here's a link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94575

I bought one last year.
It bent 20 degrees at the head on the first 10" log it was used on, and now sits on top of my steel scrap pile. Can't cut it/ correct it and reinforce it, as it's cheapo pig iron that will just continue to bend anyhow. JUNK!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby check to see if they have one with the heavy wood handle in stock. The website didn't list them, but my TS has them.

That HF metal doesn't look too sturdy.

The one I have has a pair of diagonal reinforcements attached at the outsides of the head going up to the handle socket. Been using it for six years, 12 -14' logs, no problems. First time I saw the one from Northern, I won't buy anything from harbor freight, I thought... its going to bend like a pretzel. Unfortunately I don't know who it is made by.

I bought mine from Harbor Freight 4 or 5 years ago, And has worked great and It's been used alot, and in some very bad spots. Now I did change the pin in the bottom and I liked it alot better then. It works fine as a timber jack, and works great as a cant, Now I am going to weld a piece in the end and make it a peavey, Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Matt

:agree2:

I have the NT model. I brought it out once and haven't used it since. Seems like a waste of time and money. I'm not sure what I expected when purchasing one but I usually just end up marking the logs with the Mingo Marker, cutting them about 2/3rd's of the way through, rolling them a bit and finish the cuts. Keeps the bar out of the dirt and doesn't bind.

I too have two older cant dogs, one made by Peavey Manufacturing. The are made an hour away from me so I bought right from the factory store. They usually are in the $65 range else where (My Huskie Stihl Dealer has a rack display of them). My other one is a Swisher timberjack and this too is a very heavy duty piece with a good thick hardwood handle.

Picked one up at TSC and truthfully haven't used it but a few times. Ends up getting left standing in the barn. Find myself cutting 3/4 way through, then rolling by hand. Need to create a holding device on my quad for it then I might use it more. Just doesn't fit anywhere and most of what I'm cutting is under 20".

I've been using the cut most of the way through tnd then roll the log method. Thought the timberjack might be beneficial but with all the comments here starting to think it might be a waste of money. Maybe a pulp hook for around the splitter would be a better choice.

And I noticed yesterday that my maul handle is about ready to break right near the head. So maybe a good fiberglass handle maul would be in order. The maul is a Truper and is only a year old. Probably from riding around in the truck all of the time.

I got the Peavey Timberjack for Christmas, and while I haven't used it a ton yet, I like it a lot. I was bucking up a 20 or so inch oak log about 12 feet long, and while I couldn't roll it up on the jack I used the cant hook and rolled the log easily to finish my cuts.

The Peavey Manufacturing one is a quality tool made in the US.

I've have the Northern Tools heavy wooden handle timberjack...

Used it once as well....bought it mainly for my 85 year old neighbor to use when we cut together...he won't use it either...likes his spud bar...

I'm tried of looking at it...I'll give it to the first guy that paypals me $23 for shipping...

On my timber jack you can remove the stand/jack and use it like a normal cant hook. the jack is useless unless you are on some relatively solid turf. But it is very handy with smaller diameter logs in the right conditions.

Latest posts

Back