Anybody know what this tree is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnf0929

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This tree has started dropping all of it's berries and I'm tempted to drop it due to the mess it makes. Anybody know what it is and if it's worth burning. Thanks!

This tree has started dropping all of it's berries and I'm tempted to drop it due to the mess it makes. Anybody know what it is and if it's worth burning. Thanks!

Looks like a cherry or hackberry to me (can't be cherry with the fruit shown)
I don't know a ton though.

Thanks! Using that VT website I figured out a few others and learned quite a bit. I've got a lot of shagbark hickory in my sights - 27.7 btu's!

I would have said chokecherry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokecherry

The cherries are small, more pit than cherry, and somewhat bitter. They do make a mess.

As for shagbark hickory, I would prefer to let it grow and produce nuts rather than cut it down for firewood,and likewise for walnut, butternut, and chestnut. Beech? Well the "nuts" are small, but do provide feed for the animals. Acorns from the white oaks are favorites of the deer, so keep that in mind if its a wooded area that you hunt. On my own property, and the hunting club that I belong to, we generally cut the dead stuff, bad leaners, or junk wood and let the good stuff grow.

my guess was a type of cherry, but didnt have the onions to post it.

I was actually thinking choke cherry, but since its more of a tree than a bush it cant be choke cherry. The leaves are cherry leaves, that is for sure.

Definitley not a dogwood, definitley Wild cherry, For some reason they seem to lose their leaves in the summer. Got both in the yard. Good firewood.

Agreed. And the tent catepillars love them. Round here, there are 10-20' cherries completely defoliated and wrapped up in silk like a high class mummy.

Latest posts

Back