Anybody near Fairfax VA I'll be visiting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Going to be visiting the inlaws for the holidays and I know there are some members about. Any leads on places to go to while I'm visiting? Saw shops? Home shops? People to trade with?

Give me a heads up I'll be around Dec 20-30

I'm in Berryville, Va. Right up the road. Come on by.

Hi;

New member here. Name's Gary. I am right up the road from Fairfax in Berryville, Va. Come on by if you are up for a drive into the sticks. I am working on a new project. A Povlsen 36" doublecut bandmill. I have been sawing for years with a 60" double ender with 2 090s and want something a little easier on the back. Always up for trading info.

2-090s on a 60" mill
Woodmizer LT-40
Peterson 10" WPF
Petibone super six
New to me; Povlsen mod 36 doublecut bandmill

two possible stops.. leesburg and berryville

took a train down and am waiting to see which relative can give up their vehicle so i can get around. a 2 090 setup.. thats pretty cool. do you take that to different sites or do you bring the wood to it? i'd be inclined to want to operate that remotely based on the vibe reputation of that saw. updating some of will mallof's designs per his website and the pdf book available here might be a good start. theres some good places to order aluminum i beams on "Thebay". i'd be interested to see what you'd be milling. monolithic slabs, boards or studs. i've been interested in working with stumps, rotten old sugar maples and had done some with a 111s jonsereds and then a sachs dolmar 143. both saws are sold off now and i'm waiting on my customized 2083 with a 066/660 piston mod from romeo (really nice guy and great work). i freehand slab at the moment and had recently got a mkIII locally. a two way band is probably the most efficient thing for slabs.. just decide where the boards will go right. i'm prototyping a scaled down automated type with some gil-bilt parts. iworking on how i'm mounting the wheels and track. 'd ideally like to have a setup for resawing as well as milling.. if i can have one do both that might save space. the other stuff i'm studying is the logosol mills and what sort of electric motors they are using.. and alternate sources for the motors to get enough power and rpm. should be a good time
anyways if i don't make it over thats some of the stuff i'd blab about.. especially with some high test coffee in me like i have now.

go for the drive alone, up rt 50 or out rt 7 its beautiful, especially crossing the mountains. (little bitty things though.)

Berryville's a neat place. My ex and kids are in Round Hill, I lived and worked out of the Leesburg area for several years.

Winchester is a nice place to visit.

and Gary, let me know when you want to sell an 090.:cheers:

Last edited:
More info

I have not used the double end 090 setup for a while in favor of the slabbing attachment on the Peterson which is not quite as portable but far easier to deal with as a one person operation. I have Will's book somewhere. Great read. I am interested in building a hydraulicly powered chainsaw ripping atachment for the Povlsen bandmill that I can hang off of the sawhead (over the ground, not the bed of the mill). This setup would allow me to trailor the mill into place alongside of a big log, park it and hang the ripping bar on the sawhead and go to town to slab or quarter the log. I would not have to move the log onto the mill and I could use the sawhead to have the ripping bar travel through the log and move up/down for thickness of cut. This would be a lot easier than the 2-090 setup and the Peterson. Sounds like you are into some interesting pursuits as far as milling slabs. I'd like to compare notes.

Hope you have a good time. I lived in Fairfax County for 30 years in Alexandria.

If you don't find the saws, go eat at the Hard Times in Old Town Alexandria, or the Mai Tai if you like Thai food. Both on King St.

If you're really hard up for saws, I'm in Winchester now. You're welcome to come see the Husqvarna 350 and the Stihl MS 361. :) Come after New Years and I may have a new 660. :greenchainsaw:

Have a good visit!

Latest posts

Back