anybody sawed any norway spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big daddio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
had a tornado touch down locally. worked a couple of days hauling brush in the cleanup and ended up with a few logs [lady said it's a shame somebody with a sawmill couldn't use some of the logs] ended up with some spruce, poplar and black oak logs [black oak limbs, 2 ft. diameter, tree was 5 ft. or better, too big] luckily no one seriously injured in storm. logs have some historical value, from local museum. haven't ever milled any spruce other than hemlock. should i look for any surprises in millin' & dryin'?:cheers:

yeah, and i'll post some pix if i get the time and figure out how to. you guys might want to see me and my bionic back movin' & millin' some logs.......so far, so good.

spruce mills easy , you may get some waves at the knots if your using a band mill

I love how the spruce looks for table tops, tons of knots and lots of character. Spruce is one of the reasons I have my CSM, I get nice flat slabs with it. Not hard to mill either :rockn:

Last edited:
A guy gave me a fairly big one some years back. I took it down, brought it home, and milled it into 3x6's and 2x10's with my bandmill. I used it to make a loft in my barn, and all of the lumber came out flat without waves.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I wish someone would give me a bunch more of them, as i really liked the way it sawed...

Rob

Back