anyone buy used broken saws to fix them and then sell agin ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do this quite regularly.....You're never going to make a living at it full time, but it definitely turns a few extra bucks....The only saws I repair for resale are 50cc and up, "Pro saws"......I repair many other saws, but don't expect to make any money on older saws and lower budget saws.

I seldom sell saws on Ebay, as I have good luck getting top dollar for my saws locally.....In fact at times I have "standing orders"......The best part is that I enjoy building saws

Having said that....I agree with others...You would probably make more money doing transmission work on the side.

I got a shop I buy from all saws $25 a piece no matter what it is just bought a ms180,ms210 and 026 pro last time out fixed all three and cleared $250 after buying parts all in a matter of about a week sold them right out of the front yard and craigslist, I love it !!!!! wouldn't trade it for nothin !!! by the way whoever said shops charge about #30 an hour I would take all my saws there if I didn't work on them myself, my shop charges $75 an hour !!!!
Why doesn't the shop have their techs fix up these machines and sell them, themselves ? Are their techs busy 100% of the time that it doesn't pay to have them working on them ?

Is this a common arrangement, because if so, I'm going to start talking to my shop about it...my wife is gonna love that !

Why doesn't the shop have their techs fix up these machines and sell them, themselves ? Are their techs busy 100% of the time that it doesn't pay to have them working on them ?

Is this a common arrangement, because if so, I'm going to start talking to my shop about it...my wife is gonna love that !

I am wondering the same thing, I was told that tech got payed $600 to fix a saw like I bought and the custimer could buy a new one for 550 or so .this is why they have so many used broken saws . But between you and me the tech I was talking to "the 2 stroke guy" could not do the work wellor good enuf or something like that because he kept telling me stuff like good luck "buddy" you wont get that saw to run HAHA I want to take the saw back and show him but I still want to buy more saws from him so I will just be nice

also I am sure that a stihl dealer can only use oem parts to fix the saws with and if you use oem parts there is no reason to repair the saws because by the time you buy all stihl parts and labor you are up to what a new saw costs.

I repair all two-stroke power equipment in a small shop at my house. I sell a few saws on ebay too. I make more on repair work than on sales by far. I think Fish hit the nail on the head. Parts are worth more than taking the time to source parts, repair the saw correctly, list it, ship it, etc.........

Remember this too. Anytime you replace a roached top end you better know for sure why it was fried.

I had a customer just give me a decent looking McCulloch 10-10 a few years ago, just needed a carb kit to get it running good.

I parted it out on e-bay and got @ $300 or so out of it, just put the parts in my store, if the part didn't sell quickly, I would just lower the part
until it sold. How much would I sold it for if it was running great?

You will NOT make much money buying, repairing, and selling saws, especially if you do it right. It's often nasty work and you can get a lot of time into one. You're also overly optimistic on what you'll get out of that 260. They simply don't go for that much any more. After you pay your Paypal and Ebay fees, you'll be doing good to break even. Sorry, but that's just how it it's.

Last edited:
I had a customer just give me a decent looking McCulloch 10-10 a few years ago, just needed a carb kit to get it running good.

I parted it out on e-bay and got @ $300 or so out of it, just put the parts in my store, if the part didn't sell quickly, I would just lower the part
until it sold. How much would I sold it for if it was running great?

You will NOT make much money buying, repairing, and selling saws, especially if you do it right. It's often nasty work and you can get a lot of time into one. You're also overly optimistic on what you'll get out of that 260. They simply don't go for that much any more. After you pay your Paypal and Ebay fees, you'll be doing good to break even. Sorry, but that's just how it it's.

Part it out. :msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back