Anyone Catch Dirty Jobs Last Night?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Ellison

John Ellison

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
drmiller100;5826 13. Log loader for truck is illegal. ..."[/QUOTE said:
Not seeing the show I can not say for sure, but I think it was a side loader on the truck from the way people are describing it. Are they illegal in your area, or is it just the trip stakes which are common on the side loaders?

Side loaders are still used a lot in some ares. I used one for several years and think it is a very good low cost loader. Of course its not as efficient as a hydrolic but not near the cost either. They were shop or factory built in Tenn. and also there were home built ones.

Trip stakes are bunks or standards that fold down on the passenger side to unload a load of logs. They are designed to be tripped from the opposite side of the truck, keeping the logger in the clear, but some of the do it yourselfers forgot that design point and trip stakes became illegal.
A lot of people would see a side loader being used and say it is dangerous, but it is all in the way the loader is set up. The one I had was set up right and was no more dangerous than my chainsaw. For a low tech, one man loader they are great and in a good spot are fast.

JonnyHart

JonnyHart

ArboristSite Operative
BLACKeR

BLACKeR

ArboristSite Member
good grief you guys get worked up over this! I'm guessing that's how 80% of America gets it done, they had fun, they got home, they knew the risks, they obviously didn't care. if mike felt it was too dangerous he could have left. I'm still willing to allow some personal liberty no matter how smart their use of it is.

buzz sawyer
good grief you guys get worked up over this! I'm guessing that's how 80% of America gets it done, they had fun, they got home, they knew the risks, they obviously didn't care. if mike felt it was too dangerous he could have left. I'm still willing to allow some personal liberty no matter how smart their use of it is.

BLACKeR, unfortunately, your first statment is probably not too far off the mark, but then 80% don't do this for a living and don't think about the very real hazards. That doesn't make them go away. The guys on this site speak from experience and hate to see someone hurt needlessly - especially out of neglect. No doubt some of the people who watched this show will think it reinforces the idea that PPE is not really needed. TV shouldn't set a bad example.

As far as how Mike felt about it, sounds like he has little experience with saws so how would he know about the hazards? His goal was doing the show so sponsors will buy commercial time. TV should be more responsible.

vegaome

vegaome

ArboristSite Operative
Howdy Folks,
I finally caught the show last night. It was if anything entertaining. I agree with much of whats been posted but the thing that bothered me the most is when they would jump on a moving log and the guy riding logs at the end of the show. Can you imagine what their wifes tell them when they get home?

I would bet if you pop the hood on that old truck the battery is bolted/strapped down. Them terminal posts pull right out when you roll them. I hope I can catch it again.

v/r

Mike

woojr

woojr

ArboristSite Operative
I thought he did a helluva job not binding the bar. And then coming back up meeting the other cut... he could've had a whole bunch of bad things happen but he must've felt the cut pretty good. He's done some off camera saw work before or he was damn lucky he didn't stick it. Heck, don't need no wedges when you gots the touch. woojr

turnkey4099
I thought he did a helluva job not binding the bar. And then coming back up meeting the other cut... he could've had a whole bunch of bad things happen but he must've felt the cut pretty good. He's done some off camera saw work before or he was damn lucky he didn't stick it. Heck, don't need no wedges when you gots the touch. woojr

I had my suspicions that it wasn't him running the saw in the 'cutting' scenes.

Harry K

WadePatton

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Hell, that's how them boys do it. Makes me want a mule. And I don't know who said the DJ tv show is supposed to be a daily lesson in safety.

Safety should be a personal thing. Let the genepool clean itself up.:chainsaw:
wow.
Hmmm. Should we make a list???
1. No eye protection.
2. No hard helmet.
3. No hearing Protection.
4. No Chaps.
5. No boots.
6. Improper saw starting technique.
7. Waving saw around next to guy when starting.
8. TERRIBLE Technique for falling logs. Somewhat surprised it went in the general direction it did.
9. Standing around watching your buddy fall the log within range.
10. No shovel or fireextinguisher.
11. No Technique to prevent kickback.
12. Dull chain.
13. Log loader for truck is illegal.
14. Cracked windshield on truck is illegal
15. Logs not chained down using approved binding.
16. Blips of rolling logs around in truck.
17. Falling trees on top of other trees on purpose (widow makers)
18. People standing too close when falling logs
19. Cutting next to your leg
20. I liked the directoins "cut down through the log until it pinches your saw, then wrench it out....."

WadePatton

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
And it was Culleoka, Tennessee. Culleoka is a bend in the road with a rail line and a post office. It's in middle TN, on the central basin.

Illegal varies by state.

I think they do dangerous things on the show to spice it up--when it's not stinky enough for them. Part of that "reality" effect. I've seen them do plenty of stupid and dangerous stuff on other episodes.

Perhaps too, this was a glimpse into why logging is considered one of the most dangerous occupations in the country. THAT's how them boys do it- and they ain't the only ones.

A log truck turn over in my county a while back. The cops came. Truck wasn't tagged properly. Made them bring in another truck. They did. Not big enough. Brought in another truck... Took TWO trucks to move what they had on the one. No telling how many times or how far they had run that truck loaded the same way.

My apologies to you safety-oriented folks here, but loggers make logging dangerous as exemplified on that show.

davefr

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Which one was the jack ass??

I saw this episode for the first time last night.

What a cluster f**k logging operation!!

Did they really stage it this way on purpose?? I guess some loggers can ignore certain elements of safety but who could possibly operate an 066 without hearing protection??

And the starting procedure:
1. Aim chainsaw at leg
2. Release brake
3. Drop start

This was almost like a comedy.

Anyone know if it was real??

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Hell, that's how them boys do it. Makes me want a mule. And I don't know who said the DJ tv show is supposed to be a daily lesson in safety.

Safety should be a personal thing. Let the genepool clean itself up.:chainsaw:

Good post Wade! +1 :cheers:

Yes me to, I would do real well with that "high-steeper" that ol-boy just wanted to work!

My day job is working with horses and mules, Farrier, and working with the temperaments and just pure brains that draft-stock has is a pleasure in it's self. There just plain easy to work with, as there a tad smarter. Back in da day, Mules were given a rating system, and the tail was bobbed at the bottom for 1 bell, if that mule could pack in a string, we use a lot of "1 bell" mules here in the hunting season to pack hunters in and out of the mountains.

Most mules will pack, as they feel comfortable fallowing each other, and most just love to work, but a slightly smarter mule also will allow a rider and can yield to a bit and spurs, those would get the bottom of there tail bobbed, and the hair about 1/3 the way up cut to the same length, giving the mule the distinction "2 bells" or a ridable mule.

The 3rd stage in a mules training is a mule that will pack, ride/yield to a bit/rider and also put up with a harness, and all the extra commotion that goes along with that, there tail was bobbed in the 3 places, about 1/3 of the tail apart, or a "3 bells" mule.

A very good mule in a busy hunting camp , or back in the day, could work so hard day after day that keeping hair would be your biggest problem, as the pack / saddle or harness rubs hair off and they just go bald in spots.

As far as temperament, mules get a bad wrap from the way they were breed in the past, near worthless mares were breed with mammoth-jacks to get the size mule for heavy work, large standered-jacks for riding mules and the run of the mill donkey-jack for packing, but get about 80% of there temperament from the mare.

Well bread mules from good mares are more then the sum of both parents. A quote of mine " the dumbest mule is smarter then the smartest horse" stands unchallenged by anyone that has worked a lot with both!

Here is an hour old large-standerd mule baby from a Quarter-Horse (Doc-Bar) mare of mine!

attachment.php

chainsawjunky

chainsawjunky

ArboristSite Guru
I've been sick the whole weekend with bronchitis so I caught everything that's been on tv including this.
I had my suspicions that it wasn't him running the saw in the 'cutting' scenes.

Harry K
I'm pretty sure it was him doing the cutting because anyone with experience using a saw wouldn't hold it in the middle of their body like he did.

The first mule team(the "girls") seemed okay until Mike started fooling around but Jack(the single mule) should not have been put in his control.

Evan

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Jack(the single mule) should not have been put in his control.

Evan

Think your right, when they showed him (Jack) "yawning" or mouth gaping to avoid the bit, it showed that this was not Jack's first cruise, at least with a novice teamster.

There is a chance that getting rid of that thin bar-bit and going with something like the double-twisted wire, running a strap around his jaw, while being nice with the bit, find out were he listens best to the bit?
Not saying a more severe bit is the answer, just thinking this could help find that sweet-spot for communication, the more sensitive types like him can be taught to deal cards with the right person on the rains.

attachment.php

Not once did Jack seem more timid then the amount of work he seemed interested in doing, he dose vibrate at a higher frequency then the old girls!
Like I mentioned before, I think I would get along with him just fine, just finding that spot were he works best with all his adrenaline!

Sad thing I also noticed is that ol-Jack meet a pure horses-hinder once that gave him a trust/respect issue, it maybe would be better to show Jack that not all men are jerks instead of trying to sound like a girl?

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
As far as temperament, mules get a bad wrap from the way they were breed in the past, near worthless mares were breed with mammoth-jacks to get the size mule for heavy work, large standered-jacks for riding mules and the run of the mill donkey-jack for packing, but get about 80% of there temperament from the mare.

Well bread mules from good mares are more then the sum of both parents. A quote of mine " the dumbest mule is smarter then the smartest horse" stands unchallenged by anyone that has worked a lot with both!

So very, very true.....I have helped break 6 mules to a wagon, and
two for myself to ride........you have to earn a mules respect and trust.
The ones I have messed with have all been out of MO. Fox Trotter mares
Sad to say but most of the old men I learned from are gone now.

Latest posts