Anyone come across DL count on bar to be wrong?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got a 42” Oregon that’s stamped
122DL .404

got a chain, 122DL .404

wont fit. Absolutely cannot get the chain over the bar tip, just barely there and it won’t go...
went back to wholesaler and they were puzzled just as I was. I asked for 2 more links, guy says probably better to add just one. So I get 123DL total, they added one, bring it home and it fits perfectly. Tensioner when tight is sitting at 1/3 from the left just perfect...

What gives?

Bar COULD be wrong for the saw, is the bar touching the sprocket? I know it’s obvious but u never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar COULD be wrong for the saw, is the bar touching the sprocket? I know it’s obvious but u never know

I found the bar through the Oregon parts finder using the 3120 lookup. I suppose that it is very possible that the bar was stamped incorrectly or as you said, made for a different type of saw... I doubt they sell many 42” bars in which a registry mistake would not be noticed...
I can tell you that the bar was slammed up against the rim and I could not get that chain on.
I suppose I could remove the clutch drum, fitted the rim into the chain and around the bar on the mount, then slide the clutch drum on lol. Would have been really close though.

123DL works so I’m sticking with it. Just was wondering if anyone has seen this issue before.

I found the bar through the Oregon parts finder using the 3120 lookup. I suppose that it is very possible that the bar was stamped incorrectly or as you said, made for a different type of saw... I doubt they sell many 42” bars in which a registry mistake would not be noticed...
I can tell you that the bar was slammed up against the rim and I could not get that chain on.
I suppose I could remove the clutch drum, fitted the rim into the chain and around the bar on the mount, then slide the clutch drum on lol. Would have been really close though.

123DL works so I’m sticking with it. Just was wondering if anyone has seen this issue before.

Ya, go with it. Mark it on the bar so u remember the DL in the future

the bar may be fitted with a different nose,like a 3/8 sprocket nose
Try a 3/8 chain on the nose and see if it fits.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back