Anyone drilled larger bar oil hole for Husky bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have always thought that the Husky specs on the oiler hole for bars seemed very small compared to Stihl. It's not just a Oregon thing, as my Cannon bars for my Huskies are pretty much the same small hole.

It is generally not too much a problem, but sometimes with long bars and cutting big stumps to the ground it becames more a problem. (Because cutting horizontally deep in the flare involves alot of fiber cutting that is not crosscut - so more small shavings mixed in with the big chips).

A couple days ago I was flushcutting a 68 inch fir stump with my 3120 and 50 inch Cannon bar and was having a little more plugging problem than usual. (Even on the Cannon 50 inch bar the hole is the same tiny sucker on the Husky bar whereas on my 50 inch Cannon bar for my 880 it has two HUGE oil holes...)

So I am toying with the idea of enlarging the hole on my long Cannon bar Husky bar.

So here's my question: Has anyone actually drilled out the oiler hole for a Husky sized hole, and is there any drawback?

Seems like the engineers had the idea that the smaller sized hole delivered oil better....

Last edited:
I have always thought that the Husky specs on the oiler hole for bars seemed very small compared to Stihl. It's not just a Oregon thing, as my Cannon bars for my Huskies are pretty much the same small hole.

It is generally not too much a problem, but sometimes with long bars and cutting big stumps to the ground it becames more a problem. (Because cutting horizontally deep in the flare involves alot of fiber cutting that is not crosscut - so more small shavings mixed in with the big chips).

A couple days ago I was flushcutting a 68 inch fir stump with my 3120 and 50 inch Cannon bar and was having a little more plugging problem than usual. (Even on the Cannon 50 inch bar the hole is the same tiny sucker on the Husky bar whereas on my 50 inch Cannon bar for my 880 it has too HUGE oil holes...)

So I am toying with the idea of enlarging the hole on my long Cannon bar Husky bar.

So here's my question: Has anyone actually drilled out the oiler hole for a Husky sized hole, and is there any drawback?

Seems like the engineers had the idea that that sized hole delivered oil better.....
I have not done a Jred or husky but I put a small mount husky bar on my 295 poulan. The factory Poulan bar does not have the oil hole. But with the cheapy Carlton bar and chain combo I bought from Bailey's it slobbers bar oil now all it took was a little die grinder work. The GB bars I run on my 2159 have a large oil hole but it is not at a angle like the Oregon bars I do find they put out more oil but I run pure canola all the time so it is a runny oil to begin with. I don't think it would hurt to enlarge the hole a bit plus less chance of it getting plugged with chips?

In certain cutting conditions the Oregon Lubri-jet hole doesn't cut the mustard. Use a 1/8" drill bit. Don't try to follow the angle of the original hole. Drill straight in. The slower the drill speed the better.

In certain cutting conditions the Oregon Lubri-jet hole doesn't cut the mustard. Use a 1/8" drill bit. Don't try to follow the angle of the original hole. Drill straight in. The slower the drill speed the better.
So i am not just imagining things I bought a bunch of your Carlton Pro Champs, Most have odd Ball drive link counts but the bars work great for me:) And your cheaper Carlton Laminated bars with a slight mod work great on Poulans. Were else can you buy a bar and Chain for $16.00?

I'll have to see if my drill bits will cut the Cannon steel. I find (with some variation) a couple of my Cannon bars are too hard to file the edges with a file - it skids.

It may also be the extra hardening Cannon does is mostly on the edge for wear resistant, and so that the part of the bar at the oil hole is not as hard.

Last edited:
Use an 1/8 inch masonry bit

The masonry bit will bore right on through to enlarge an existing hole.

Latest posts

Back