anyone else burn aluminum cans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a free wood furnace because the guy burned tires in it and melted a hole in the firebox.

Also when we were 4 wheeling and camping these guys would catch magnesium engine blocks on fire and they were BRIGHT.

Never in the stove, but back in the day we destroyed the evidence by tossing Bud cans in the camp fire.

Post-21, I began drinking Guiness. They put a little device in the bottom of the can to make it foam upon opening. If you toss a Guiness can in the camp fire, it'll make a little jet-o-flame.

One time I tried to show this to my little brother. Wasn't working, so I got on my hands and knees and peeked. Simultaneousely, He crunched the can with a stick, which shot a ball of fire into my face. That was the first time he set me on fire. But not the last.

I throw in 3 or 4 aluminum cans in my wood burner to help with the creosote build up in the chimney. I heard this works and it must because I've not had a chimney fire since using the cans.
When I clean the chimney all I find is a little 'dust' that gets knocked down with the brush.

yes it does work, It is the same as buying that store creosote eater...that stuff is just aluminum oxide(I think that's whats its called) and that's what ya get from burning cans.
last summer I tore down a camper out at my hunting property. burnt all the crap in a fire pit...the aluminum siding that I didn't pick over for scrap went right in too.There where puddles of aluminum all over the base of the fire. made some cool looking nuggets

yes it does work, It is the same as buying that store creosote eater...that stuff is just aluminum oxide(I think that's whats its called) and that's what ya get from burning cans.
last summer I tore down a camper out at my hunting property. burnt all the crap in a fire pit...the aluminum siding that I didn't pick over for scrap went right in too.There where puddles of aluminum all over the base of the fire. made some cool looking nuggets

Yooper,

I ain't doubting you, but I am curious as to how the aluminum oxide affects the creosote and minimizes or keeps it from sticking to the Chimney.

The commercial stuff just seems to be "Mouse milk" to my way of thinking.
If it worked, why is there an industry set up around cleaning chineys?

If it does work, and I can avoid getting up on the roof(1 Beer Pitch) as often, I'm all for it! LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That was the first time he set me on fire. But not the last.

Wow...I'm watching a biography of Hunter S. Thompson. Man, I read that hearing Johnny Depp's voice reading it like it was Thompson's own words :)

======
As for aluminum cans and creosote, I suppose their could be a catalyst effect...probably not a reagent -- aluminum oxide is very stable, that's why aluminum only tarnishes and doesn't disintegrate like iron does when left out in the elements.

Somehow I suspect the real answer is if you're burning a fire hot enough to reduce the cans to ashes you're burning hot enough to clean the chimney. Get it hot enough, often enough you drive the moisture and volatile liquids that had condensed on the side of the chimney off and leave behind just ash.

I was told it makes it "crumbly" if that's even a word. and it falls off the chimney. I burnt wood for the first 10 years I lived in my house. it was my only heat source. I burnt mostly green wood so the fire would last much longer when I was not home. I also burnt allot of pine,popple and hemlock as I worked in the woods logging and any thing stove size off the slasher went into the truck and was burnt that night. I would burn about 10 cans a week( WI. cans as I didn't want to burn the dimes☺) I never had a chimney fire and only cleaned it about once a season. was never much in there. I am not quite sure of the reason it makes it not stick but I do believe it works.

yooper:
it may or may not work.
just to be safe i threw a couple cans in the garage stove again tonight. what with burning some wet wood i figured what can it hurt.:)

One more thing to add....At the deer camp the stove pipe is made out of half inch thick water line it has been used for 14 years and allot of cans go into that stove. it has never been cleaned except by pounding it with a hammer to knock the creosote off. a couple hard taps and every thing just falls to the bottom. it is a 6 inch pipe.

Burning the cans dries the creosote out for sure. I dunno how, its just does! With a 33' stack, I try everything to make sure it is not building up.

Actually somebody with some scientific sense explained it once around here.

Burning the cans dries the creosote out for sure. I dunno how, its just does! With a 33' stack, I try everything to make sure it is not building up.

Actually somebody with some scientific sense explained it once around here.
That's only because in order to burn aluminum cans to ash, you have to have enormous heat in the stove, which will also knock out creosote--kind of like a blast furnace. While doing so, you could burn out your chimney and burn down your house.

Is that a risk that you want to take?:cry:

That's only because in order to burn aluminum cans to ash, you have to have enormous heat in the stove, which will also knock out creosote--kind of like a blast furnace. While doing so, you could burn out your chimney and burn down your house.

Is that a risk that you want to take?:cry:

I dunno,

I just roached a Coke Can into the Coals.

Now I'm curious to fish it out and see what's left.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Is the fire out or still hot? The aluminum can is likely still there. Melting point of Aluminum is 1221°F. But, it takes more than twice that to vaporize it. Good luck. :dizzy:

Fires still going. House is still here:D

Been burning Sassafrass in small amounts as it's warmed up outside.

The Coke can was there for a Minuite or two, and when I looked back...GONE!

When things cook down a bit I'll shift the coals and ash over and see if it puddled, or made it through the bricks..LOL!!

Fan is still running (Fan and wiring access is underneath the bricks)and no fire under the box so it didn't get too far.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back