Anyone ever break a NEW 3/4" whoopie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has snapped a 3/4" whoopie sling . Brand new out of the bag . Used it to hang a new block and pop out a Digger top . SNAP , right on the fence. These are rated at 3400lbs choker and the top was about 2k with very minimal dynamic load .:angry: :angry: :mad:

It Snapped right in the middle , where one line passes through the other . It was the inside line , not the outer "sheath" . does not seem right to me . I would think it should have broke at the eyes or the outer sheath , not a full undisterbed tenex line

i have a 3/4 tenex with a spliced eye for my hobbs block. i use the woopy slings for the lowering device. the other pulley has a spliced eye on a 3/4 stable brade. i never really thought about useing a woopy sling on a block. if you send the sling back, please post the results.

Anything is super strong or weak in it's own range!

i think 1T can easily get some stretch/run on all but the most pretightened/ and or multi legged roping systems.

With 8" of drop and or stretch, you would have exceeded the stated SWL. i've broken a 3/4" Stable braid once some time ago.

Check out page 187 of Arborist Equipment. According to Blair, a 2K lb. static load will put 4K on the sling. Any dynamic loading will increase that even more.

Yep, you over loaded it.
Remember each leg of the lowering line was pulling 2k, which means 4k on the sling. Add dynamic loads and you were way past it's capacity.
I don't use whoopie slings for that reason, for the size rope, you don't get much capacity.

It could more than double the weight under shock loading at the friction device so 2k is probably in the ball park of snapping the W-sling depending on the run and the shock load.

Mike, I don`t doubt you but ...
bt2.gif

Am I missing something here?

Kevin,
In your drawing, how much weight (or equivalent resistance) is holding the tail of the rope? If you are suspending a 100lb. chunk, you need the equivalent of 100lbs resistance on the other end or else the chunk will fall. So if you have 100lbs on each end of the rope, you have a total of 200lbs on the rope to hold 100lbs.

I hope that was clear as mud! :p

Ok,Thanks.
That`s why I come here. ;)

Should that anchor then read 200 lbs. instead of 100 lbs. ?

this thread is getting me a little scared. i don't use whoopy slings except for a lowering device(3/4). i said before i use a 3/4 tenex eye sling on my hobbs block and a 5/8 stable braid eye sling on my other pulley. now useing a 5/8 stable braid or similar 5/8 bull rope what is the biggest piece i should take on a set up like that? some one mentioned a 6in drop, but by with all the streach in the system i see more of a 6ft drop when lowering wood (butt tie fashion except useing a block) i recently took out a big oak lead (storn damage) the limb was about 50 ft long and at the tear the wood was about 26in in dia. i rigged it up with 2 5/8 lines and cut it free from the trunk. the limb had to be at least 3000lbs. the 5/8 butt rope looked like a 1/2 in line when the weight was on it. there was not much of a drop since i had the ropes pretty tight before i cut it free. both ropes where tied off on porta wraps. was i over loading the 5/8 lines?

Latest posts

Back