Anyone ever reuse a preset?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm just getting into building / modifying my own chains. The old forester who has been building my chains for many years says I can reuse a preset one time. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas they might share. I have new 3/8 and .325 but needed a lowpro 3/8 so I had to reuse it. I'm discovering there are many tricks to learn to building and modifying chains. Also, what's the best bar oil - HA!

Only removed from a new chain,never a used one.....

Excellant point. The preset I reused today was from a new chain. I needed to bring a 3/8LP 56dl down to 52dl. I'll admit, the amount of rivet showing after the spinner is nothing like a new link. I'm not going to make a habit of doing this. If new presets are available, why not use them. In this case, I did not have a new LP preset.

One more question -- I've thrown full loops off the bar and had the underside catcher take hold of them. I've never thrown a broken chain-- what usually happens to a thrown broken chain??

Excellant point. The preset I reused today was from a new chain. I needed to bring a 3/8LP 56dl down to 52dl. I'll admit, the amount of rivet showing after the spinner is nothing like a new link. I'm not going to make a habit of doing this. If new presets are available, why not use them. In this case, I did not have a new LP preset.

One more question -- I've thrown full loops off the bar and had the underside catcher take hold of them. I've never thrown a broken chain-- what usually happens to a thrown broken chain??

That would depend at what location on the bar it broke,could go straight forward or come back at you. if makeing race chains use safety gear...

How in the he'' would you ever reuse a preset? I have seen giyss reuse side plates which I do not agree with but a preset?????????????????? It is spun.

Bill

Back