Anyone ever reuse a preset?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flatpikr

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
I'm just getting into building / modifying my own chains. The old forester who has been building my chains for many years says I can reuse a preset one time. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas they might share. I have new 3/8 and .325 but needed a lowpro 3/8 so I had to reuse it. I'm discovering there are many tricks to learn to building and modifying chains. Also, what's the best bar oil - HA!

flatpikr

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
Only removed from a new chain,never a used one.....

Excellant point. The preset I reused today was from a new chain. I needed to bring a 3/8LP 56dl down to 52dl. I'll admit, the amount of rivet showing after the spinner is nothing like a new link. I'm not going to make a habit of doing this. If new presets are available, why not use them. In this case, I did not have a new LP preset.

One more question -- I've thrown full loops off the bar and had the underside catcher take hold of them. I've never thrown a broken chain-- what usually happens to a thrown broken chain??

retired redneck

retired redneck

ArboristSite Guru
Excellant point. The preset I reused today was from a new chain. I needed to bring a 3/8LP 56dl down to 52dl. I'll admit, the amount of rivet showing after the spinner is nothing like a new link. I'm not going to make a habit of doing this. If new presets are available, why not use them. In this case, I did not have a new LP preset.

One more question -- I've thrown full loops off the bar and had the underside catcher take hold of them. I've never thrown a broken chain-- what usually happens to a thrown broken chain??

That would depend at what location on the bar it broke,could go straight forward or come back at you. if makeing race chains use safety gear...

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
How in the he'' would you ever reuse a preset? I have seen giyss reuse side plates which I do not agree with but a preset?????????????????? It is spun.

Bill

Latest posts