Anyone ever use TSC brand bar oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So, i went in to TSC last night not looking for anything really...i had just come from Advanced and picked up my 5 of the bar oil spouts for $.05 ea (thanks everyone on AS) and i see a big display of TSC bar oil on sale for $6 a gallon. I picked up a gallon. Anyone use this stuff? Anygood? If its decent stuff im going to go pick up a couple more. Compare the price to Husqvarna at $11 something a gallon.

Been using it for quite awhile with no problems. 6 bucks is a good deal.

I love forums that get your questions answered fast...thanks guys. Another trip to TSC coming up tonight. I should have a years supply of bar oil on the cheap now. I bought 4 gallons at a benefit auction here of Husq winter grade for $4/ga this summer too!

I've used it in the past and have been happy with it.

An interesting note on the the TSC oil. The last time I bought some they had both the TSC brand and Husqvarna's brand. The containers were identical except for the color. The front label obviously had TSC on it and the Husky had the Husqvarna logo, but they were similar in layout. The back labels were identical. While the similarities of the containers and labels is not conclusive evidence it does make one suspect that, at least at that time, the oil was coming from the same source.

i've been using it for the last 5 years and no problems yet. only thing i would say about it is that it does get pretty thick in cold temps, not as thick as husqvarna oil.

good thing my sister works at TSC....discount discount discount haha. she told me bout it being on sale a couple days ago.

whats these oil spouts yall are talkin bout? just a spout cap so you're not spilling oil when the dang jug "gluggs"? never mind found it while i was lookin through another thread

Last edited:
yea its pretty tacky in my opinion-can get a 6-8" string when ya take the cap off the jug after shaking it around. yea its ALOT thicker than any motor oil i've used/seen

Yes Brad, it is thick and tacky. Works really well in all but real cold temps. I then switch over to the stuff sold at Rural King which is light like the Wal Mart Stuff

I wondered if it was the same oil as Husky too and just rebranded. TSC does that alot...they buy such huge quantities that they get companies to re brand it and then sell it cheap. THey do this so other customers of the suppliers dont get irked at there prices.

But it sounds like maybe its not? But either way im buying more!!

Weird....my TSC oil jugs look nothing like the Husky oil they sell and I get from a dealer...the TSC oil here is a black gallon jug, almost square footprint with a small finger hold on the side....the Husky is white rectangle gallon jug with a big top mounted handle, almost like a Prestone anti-freeze jug...the two look nothing alike and the husky oil is ALOT thinner than the TSC oil here, no mistaking the two for sure...the TSC is thick and stringy...the husky pours closer to motor oil.

So is this TSC oil thick and tacky like Stihl oil? I found that the Super Tech oil from Walmart is as thin as engine oil and doesn't seem sticky at all.

Walmart super tech is 30 wieght motor oil. It might be okay fofor temps lower then 20 degrees. I use poulan green bottle($7.97) for all my normal temp cutting. Good stuff for a great price. Locally stihl bar and chain oil is going for $18.00 plus. I go through to much oil to pay that price!

:givebeer:

Weird....my TSC oil jugs look nothing like the Husky oil they sell and I get from a dealer...the TSC oil here is a black gallon jug, almost square footprint with a small finger hold on the side....the Husky is white rectangle gallon jug with a big top mounted handle, almost like a Prestone anti-freeze jug...the two look nothing alike and the husky oil is ALOT thinner than the TSC oil here, no mistaking the two for sure...the TSC is thick and stringy...the husky pours closer to motor oil.

I bought the jug I referenced in the previous post about two years ago. I'm sure TSC cycles through suppliers pretty often, so I'm not surprised that their current product is packaged (and probably formulated) differently now.

What i just picked up is the Husky jug but black...the other square jug sounds like Stihl jugs? I really wouldnt be surprised if they buy from the same suppliers as Stihl and Husky and it is just rebranded product in either jug.

I bought oil from TSC last year when I ran out of husky. Cutting in 50 degree temps it had lumps floating in it. The bottom quart was sludge. 3 Gals all had the same issue. It was in the milk jug type container, not like the husky jug. Now I only use husky.

Roger

So is this TSC oil thick and tacky like Stihl oil? I found that the Super Tech oil from Walmart is as thin as engine oil and doesn't seem sticky at all.
Brad,

I use Stihl oil, but I think the Poulan oil is stickier and thicker. I was using the Poulan back in West Virginia and noted how sticky it was. We also had TSC oil, it wasn't as sticky as the Poulan.

Cheers,
TT

Bought 1 gallon TSC and it worked well for me but cost more than $6. Found Chainpro bar oil at Menards, $5.49 a gallon. Used a couple of gallons works well also.

It works

Works as well as any other oil and the price is right. Bonus for me is there is a TSC a mile away from me. Have not noticed any differance in wear vs. the Stihl or Husky oil.

Back