Anyone ever work with sweet gum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up this sweet gum tree. Now I need to figure out what I want to mill out of it.
img014.jpg

I got seven logs out of the sweet gum and the other two are Myrtlewood. I picked these logs
up on the return trip from delivering some Doug fir beams.
200.jpg

The Myrtlewood log was back in there about 20’.
195.jpg

Nevertheless, after doing some fishing with the backhoe
bucket it came out of the black berry patch.
197.jpg

Nice sweet black berries, and easy to pick to boot.

If we are talking about the same thing (Liquidambar styraciflua... star shaped leaf?) I've milled about 300 ft of it, we have lots of it here on the east coast. Nothing spectacular, kinda dull whitish wood. Hard, close grained, sorta like soft maple. Wouldn't want to make a fine piece of furniture out of any of it I've seen so far.

Yep that sounds like the same stuff.
What is it good for?
It's one of those little used hardwoods here in the east. Sometimes you can get some beautiful reddish heartwood from a sweetgum, but most of the ones I've opened up were mostly light colored whitish relatively hard close grained wood, not unlike sycamore, black gum or soft maple in color and texture. When I worked as a logger we sold a bunch for mine timbers one time, since the wood is relatively strong. Woodworkers have made furniture out of it, but like ash and some other less woods that are less valuable than the standard oak/cherry/walnut furniture woods, it isn't used much for that. I am a little biased though when it comes to "less valuable" wood. Today I'm working in the woodshop with pecan. I happen to think it's a beautiful light to dark tan wood that has a unique color and appealing grain patterns.

Backwoods, the Alabama Forestry Commission book states that Sweetgum is used for:"Pulp, lumber, veneer, railroad ties, furniture. Historical uses: boxes, crates, woodenware, barrel staves." I know that it use to be trucked to Columbus, GA. to be used to make plywood. Some guys on the other for um cut it thick for paneling.

Wouldnt hurt to weight the stack down, sweetgum will bend and twist more than most.

good exercise when using a maul

Latest posts

Back